Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta shared these great back to school heath tips with you to prepare your kids for the big day. These are great, important tips that I think all parents should look over. Starting the school year off on the right foot will make it easier on you and your child.
- Pack Smart– Backpacks are a handy way for your child to carry his books and other school materials, but if used incorrectly can put strain on his back muscles and joints causing lower back pain and injury. Backpacks should never sit below the waist. If the straps of the backpack are pulled all the way tight and it still sits below the waist, find a smaller bag.
- Breathe Easy– Asthma is one of the most common chronic illnesses in children and accounts for more than half a million missed school days annually. Creating an asthma action plan with your physician to help your child better manage his asthma. Also, make sure that you are reminding your children about washing their hands frequently to prevent to spread of germs.
- Fuel for School– Fuel your family with food throughout the school year with these nutrition tips that help kids grow strong from the inside out. Check out our Healthy Snack Food Ideas.
- Sleep Savvy– During the summer, many children and teens stay up later and sleep in longer than during the school year. This shift often makes returning to an early schedule difficult. Getting enough sleep is important and Children’s has tips to get kids back on track. You can start setting the alarm a week or two before school starts, to get back into the swing of things.
- Keep Bullies at Bay– Bullying is a pattern of unwanted, aggressive behavior among school-aged children where one child uses control over another. Learn common bullying behaviors and how your child should deal with a bully.