I was the poster child for some of the worst pregnancy symptoms there are. After searching high and low and speaking to many different women I’ve gotten lots of answers about ways to ease the worst ones. I’ll share with you what I’ve been told because everyone’s body reacts differently to certain things.
When Nausea becomes so bad that you can’t seem to function you would do anything to stop this symptom. It affects everything around you. If you are working it can make it very hard to get things done or even make it in. If you are at home like me you are taking care of your child while trying to make it through the day.
- Eat smaller portions but DO NOT skip a meal- Skipping a meal can make you feel even worse then if you ate something that
isn’t agreeing with you. Pack little snacks to get you through to each meal. Things like nutrition bars, an apple or some crackers. Don’t drink lots of water on an empty stomach. After eating do no lay flat, keep your head elevated until you digest a little.
- Ginger – Drink flat Ginger Ale made with real ginger. They also make things like Ginger gum, crystallized ginger which taste like candy.
- Psi Bands Acupressure Wrist Band - These are drug-free wrist bands for the relief of nausea due to morning sickness (pregnancy), motion sickness/travel, chemotherapy, and anesthesia.
- Acupuncture- I’ve heard women rave about acupuncture for completely getting rid of their nausea.
- Prescriptions- When all else fails I highly suggest you ask you doctor. There are a few medications that help get rid of nausea. If you have severe vomiting with your symptoms I would do this for sure because you could become very dehydrated and need to be hospitalized.
Come 3pm I become a complete Zombie Mom and can fall asleep standing up if I’m not careful. Thankfully its during a good time for nap time for the little sibling. If you are at work however I’m pretty sure drooling on your desk with your hands on your head is frowned upon.Your body is in high gear creating a child so listen to it.
- Take Catnaps- Even a 15 to 20 minute catnap can be refreshing. That may mean eating your lunch fast and then taking a short nap in your car during the remainder of your lunch. Make sure you set your phone alarm though!
- Go to bed early- This will allow your body to get the needed sleep and hopefully help the mid day crashes.
- Eat better foods- eating junk food can make you tired so replacing it with an apple could help give you a little boost.
- Take a walk- A little exercise helps bring oxygen to your muscles. A body in motion stays in motion! Plus it will help keep that pregnancy weight in check.
Gas and Bloating
A very unflattering side affect that could ruin a good meeting and draw attention to your baby bump sooner than you though.
- Avoid Gas causing Foods- Beans, whole grains, and certain vegetables – such as cabbage, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, and asparagus. They contain the sugar raffinose, which makes a lot of people gassy. Sodas or fruit juices with High fructose corn syrup are another thing to avoid. Heavy starches like potatoes, corn and wheat (my favorites) are another.
- Don’t Talk while you are eating- eat small meals and hold your conversations til the end please!
- Over the Counters- Antacids for heartburn (Maalox, Mylanta, Rolaids, Tums) or Simethicone for gas pains (Gas-X, Maalox Anti-Gas, Mylanta Gas, Mylicon)
- Take another walk-it will help your digestive tract.
- Remove the Belly Band- Having anything tight or form fitting on your stomach can cause more bloating.
There are a lot of other pregnancy symptoms that happen during the 9 months that you will carry your little bundle but these are the most common in the first trimester. As I cross into the second trimester I will go over some of those symptoms too.
How have you eased pregnancy symptoms? Share your best tricks!