If you could eat any food in the whole world without any concern, chances are that item would be listed in the “junk food” category. Mine would be cheese fries, dark chocolate, and potato chips. I asked my daughter what some of her favorite junk food items were and here are the items she came up with.
Her list included things like fries, cotton candy and chocolate. I have to admit some of her favorites are also mine. Some of the items, like cotton candy, we only get at special events like the circus or special performances. The rest we try to limit as much as possible.
It shouldn’t be hard to give your kids healthy snacks if you keep them on hand around the house. Here are some easy healthy snack ideas for you.
- Applesauce – Quick and easy and a great snack to pack on the go. Lots of different flavors to try. Our favorite is the mixed berry kind!
- Fresh Fruit – Berries, Bananas, or Apples go great with yogurt or peanut butter. Mix it up with dried or freeze-dried fruit. Throw it in a blender and make fruit leather.
- Raw Vegetables – Eat them with a little ranch or my favorite with hummus.
- Cheese – String, cubes or block. You can get
- Granola – Homemade is best because you don’t have all the added junk in it. Ones with honey are great!
- Yogurt – You can mix in just about anything to switch up your yogurt. Dip your fruit in yogurt and freeze it.
- Nuts – Almonds, Cashews or Peanuts. Roasted or lightly salted are a great yummy snack
- Eggs – Hard-boiled eggs can be a fun snack and hearty in protein.
- Popcorn and Rice Cakes – As long as you start with the plain kind instead of smothered in butter or chocolate. Rice cakes are another snack you can jazz up with cheese or peanut butter.
- Fries- Sweet Potato and regular fries can still be good if you bake them instead of frying them. Just limit them “treat” because they are high in carbs.
Anytime you find a fun recipe you want to try with your kids, check and see if there is a “healthified” version of it to take out some calories or added fat. Sometimes it’s as easy as changing the way you cook your food. If you plan your healthy snacks ahead of time, you can have them on hand. You’d be surprised how much kids love everything on this list.
Mott’s® Snack & Go is the nutritious applesauce kids love in a squeezable pouch they can take with them wherever they go. Mott’s is also the only applesauce brand with Box Tops for Education®, helping to support kids’ schools. Click here to download a buy one get one free Mott’s® Snack & Go coupon.