The Braves final season at Turner Field has arrived! The Cobb County horizon already has the new Suntrust Park beams, and it is going up fast. The Braves are celebrating their time at Turner Field in a big way by going out with a bang and remembering all the great times they have shared with fans over the years.
I moved to Georgia in 1996 during the Olympics. I remember it vividly because we didn’t have cable yet and the only channel that came in was the one with the Atlanta Olympics played on. Turner field was originally the Centennial Olympic Stadium. When the Summer Olympics were over it was converted into the Home of the Braves. It has been a staple in my life its entire existence. I’m so happy to be able to share that love with other Atlanta fans as well.
Here are 15 things you need to do before the Braves leave Turner Field behind for their new home at Suntrust Park.
- Buy Final Season Gear – The final season at Turner Field brings with it a special “Final Season” logo. I’ve already bought my hat, but I’m saving up for a special Final Season jersey that I can personalize. Talk about one of a kind!
- Get a commemorative collectable – During special home games, you can receive fun collectables when you arrive early. I received a Skip and Pete Bobblehead. The Bobbleheads that they have designed for the year are fun and depict memories that Braves fans will love. Like Chipper Jones saving Freddie Freeman with his ATV!
- Try some need food options – Turner Field has a new food vendor, and they brought fans some new dishes to try that seem odd but taste great. The first is the Burgerizza, which is a burger that is made with pizza as the bun. Mind, blown! So weird, so good! The next is the Tater Tot Chop, tater tots cooked in a waffle iron and served with cheese, bacon, and Coca-Cola infused ketchup. You can also try the T.E.D. (The Everything Dog).
- Let your kids run the bases – On Sundays after the game, all kids ages 14 and under are invited to go onto the field and run the bases just like their favorite Braves player!
- Take in a special event game – Girls Night Out, Father-Daughter Day, Mother-Son Day. There are lots of great events to choose from, and they each include a unique item with the ticket.
- Sit in the Coca-Cola chairs in the Sky Field – Pop up into the Sky Field to let kids run the play bases and then take in the view from the Coca-Cola chairs. That skyline is amazing. I’m going to miss it from Turner Field.
- Test your baseball skills in Scouts Alley – Test your pitching and batting skills in the cages. You can also get your face painted or get your Kids Braves Club passport stamped.
- Let the kids play in Will & Hope’s dugout – Kids can play in the treehouse that has a big slide and other great things for the kids to run around in.
- Check out a concert -Stick around after the game to catch each of these concerts FREE with a paid game ticket!
- Watch the Friday Night Fireworks – While I’m sure Friday Night Fireworks will happen at the new park, it may not be from the iconic Coca-Cola, and you won’t have the Atlanta skyline as the backdrop.
- Visit batting practice – Get field access before the game so you can watch the Braves warm up before they game. Make sure to bring a Sharpie because when they players are done warming up, they sign things for fans! (We got to see Chipper Jones while we were there, he is in the red shirt and jeans)
- Visit the Brave Museum & Hall of Fame – I’m not sure about the plans for the Museum & Hall of Fame so make sure to stop in and see it just in case it doesn’t come to the new park.
- Snap a Picture with Homer – Again, You’ll be able to do this at the new park, but you won’t have Turner Field in the background!
- Run the Braves Country 5K -Commemorate the final season at Turner Field with our Braves Country 5K on Saturday, June 11 for your last chance to cross the finish line on the field! The race takes place Saturday, June 11, 2016, at Turner Field.
- Tell your Turner Field Story – Share your Turner Field story with the Braves and other fans and you could have it featured on their website and social media channels!
It’s always sad to say goodbye to something, but the Braves have a fantastic year lined up for their final season. Let’s have the best send off for Turner Field by celebrating all the great memories created there.
#ChopOn Braves country!