Did you know that the Atlanta Braves offer a summer camp? The perks are pretty awesome too. My oldest daughter will be heading to Braves camp this year, and she is really excited about it. Because she is a girl, I reached out to the camp to make sure it would be a good fit for her before I signed her up. Here is what they told me.
“We usually have 4-6 girls per session (each of which has between 70 and 100 campers total), and the girls who have come through our program have had great experiences. We do our best to pair the girls on the same teams when possible, but given age differences it’s not always possible.”
With that in mind, we still went for it. A little while ago my daughter said something while we were passing a baseball field that struck me. She said, “Man, I wish girls could play baseball.” I immediately assured her that girls could play anything that boys do if they want to. My younger sister played fast pitch for a long time, and I told her that she should talk to JaMonkey about it. When the opportunity came up for us to attend Braves camp, we jumped all over it. We just picked up all our gear, and she is crazy excited about it. We attended Braves Summer Camp and this is how it went.
The Braves Baseball Camp Philosophy:
At Braves Baseball Camps, we’re dedicated to the idea of bringing out the personal best in high potential kids and teens. We understand that all children, given the right support structures, have high potential. Inherent to this purpose is a recognition of the unique gifts and skills in each of our campers and athletes, as well as an awareness that to best coach them we have to engage with them, understand them, and meet them where they are on their developmental journey.
The Super Six is a foundation of solid leadership building blocks we use to train our coaches, design our curriculum and engage with campers. These life skills are based on well-established, developmental research and social science. Each of our Braves Baseball Camp activities and experiences are built upon The Super Six, enabling kids to reinforce life-enhancing skills while having fun, making memories and building the fundamentals of their baseball skills.
The Super Six
Emotional Mastery – “Express Yourself”
Kids that can identify and communicate their emotions build healthier relationships and avoid the frustrations of feeling misunderstood.
Optimism – “You Choose the Frame”
Viewing life through an optimistic lens helps young people achieve at higher levels and avoid the struggles brought on by negative thinking.
Resiliency – “Bounce, Don’t Break”
Learning how to rebound from setbacks is an important component of building confidence and an integral part of personal development.
Self-Efficacy – “Make Your Difference”
Kids with the awareness that they have the power within themselves to create change and new outcomes in their life are more confident and develop a greater sense of responsibility for their future.
Hope & Goal Setting – “See it to be it.”
Goal setting teaches kids important skills such as focus, decision-making, and communication. Studies have strongly linked goal setting to both high levels of achievement and long-term happiness.
Grit & Determination – “Practice is Perfect”
With the right exposure to apprenticeship and preparation, kids can learn the important relationship between practice and self-mastery. This teaches tenacity and how to achieve their personal best.
Here is what is included in a Braves Baseball Camp:
- Camp participants receive: four days of baseball instruction (no experience required!), day-long visit to Suntrust Park, meet and greet with a current Braves player or Braves alumni and the chance to play catch on the Suntrust Park outfield
- Campers will feel like a true all-star in their full Braves camp baseball uniform
- Campers also receive two lower level tickets to a select Braves home game
- Parents/guardians have the opportunity to select extended day options if needed
- Our camps have locations/dates in Marietta, Peachtree City, Atlanta, Marietta and Cumming
- Our camp is based on “The Super Six” philosophy which includes messages about expressing yourself, optimism, resiliency, self-efficacy, hope and goal setting, and grit and determination
- Camps are open to boys and girls ages 5-13, groups are divided by rising grade in school
- There is a 5% sibling discount for camps
- For more information, please call 404-682-0709 or visit www.braves.com/camps