These chocolate peanut butter eggs are just like the Reese’s ones you’ll find in the store except they are made from scratch and have no preservatives. We spring for all natural or organic choices in our house, so it’s less processed than the original.
I have a weakness for peanut butter eggs. Throughout the year I can walk by the cups and not even bat an eye at them, but when Spring rolls around, I find myself drawn to that little yellow package. Then the stores really torture me by putting out buy one get one free signs. That’s dirty. So I’ve resorted to making my own at home. Because when I’m making things from scratch to me, it just tastes better.
Here is what you will need to do to make your own Chocolate Peanut Butter Eggs.
Melt smooth peanut butter and butter for 1 minute in the microwave. Stir until blended.
Add your vanilla and sifted powdered sugar into the mix until it’s blended well. It will start to become a dough like substance. If it’s not thick enough add a tiny bit more powdered sugar. You should be able to knead it with your hands at this point.
Divide mixture into ten portions and form each into an egg shape. Place eggs on a parchment-lined baking sheet and place in freezer for 15 minutes.
I prefer using a double boiler to melt my chocolate, but if you don’t have one, you can use your microwave. Melt chocolate in microwave by heating for 30 seconds. Stir and repeat the process until chocolate is melted and smooth.
Using a fork, dip peanut butter eggs into chocolate and flip to cover completely. Lift with a fork and gently tap on the edge of the bowl – allowing excess chocolate to drip off.
Place back on parchment paper and refrigerate for another 10 minutes. Place them in an airtight container and try REALLY hard not to eat them all in one sitting. It’s tough, I know but I have faith in you. Now sharing with your kids is another story, I won’t judge you for not sharing.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Eggs
What you will need
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup powdered sugar sifted
- 10 oz. dark cocoa melting chips
- Melt peanut butter and butter for 1 minute in microwave. Stir until blended.
- Add vanilla and powdered sugar, mix well.
- Divide mixture into 10 portions and form each into an egg shape. Place eggs on a parchment lined baking sheet and place in freezer for 15 minutes.
- Melt chocolate in microwave by heating for 30 seconds. Stir and repeat the process until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Using a fork, dip peanut butter eggs into chocolate and flip to cover completely. Lift with fork and gently tap on edge of the bowl – allowing excess chocolate to drip off.
- Place back on parchment paper and refrigerate for 10 minutes.