Looking for an easy recipe to make for your Halloween party (or just for fun)? These chocolate cupcakes are easy, but you can make bakery style spider webs to go on them with this free template. These Chocolate Spider Cupcakes are sure to be a big hit.
First, you’ll need to print out the Spiderweb Template by clicking here.
While the cupcakes are baking you can make the spider webs. Print out your template and lay the parchment paper on top of it. Microwave the white chocolate chips in intervals of 30 seconds, stirring between each set to melt them. Pour the melted chocolate into a piping or plastic sandwich bag and snip off the end. Pipe the chocolate onto the parchment paper with the template underneath. Chill the spider webs so that they can harden.
Transfer the chocolate frosting into a microwave safe bowl. You want the frosting to be thin, so heat it in 10 second intervals. Then you’ll dip the tops of the cupcakes into the frosting making sure not to touch the cupcake liner.
Make sure to let any excess frosting drip off before turning the cupcake over.
This gives it that beautiful glazed look. Then you’ll place a spiderweb on top of the glazed cupcake.
You can also add a cute little spider to the top as well. The little spider rings are great for that.
What you will need
- 1 box Chocolate Cake Mix plus required eggs, oil and water as directed on box
- Chocolate Frosting your favorite homemade recipe or a 16 oz. storebought tub
- 2 Cup white chocolate chips
- Additional Materials:
- Spiderweb Cupcake Topper Template
- Parchment Paper
- Sandwich Bag
- Optional: plastic spiders as shown on final photo
- Line muffin tin with 24 cupcake liners and set aside.
- Preheat oven and prepare cake mix according to box directions.
- Fill each cupcake liner two-thirds full with prepared cake mix.
- Bake as directed, then set aside to cool.
- While cupcakes are cooling, create the Spider Web Cupcake Toppers:
- Microwave white chocolate chips according to package directions to melt.
- Pour melted chocolate into a sandwich bag and snip off one corner to create a piping sleeve.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Slide spider web template under paper.
- To make each web, pipe the white chocolate along the lines of the design - ensuring all lines are connected.
- Repeat process until 24 spider webs are created.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- While cupcake toppers chill, transfer chocolate frosting into a bowl, microwave for 10 seconds, and stir. Repeat this process until frosting is thin enough to pour.
- Dip each cupcake upside down into frosting – submerging the top, but not allowing the frosting to touch the liner.
- Let excess frosting drip off before turning upright. Continue until all cupcakes are glazed.
- Remove cupcake toppers from fridge. Using a spatula, remove webs carefully and place on the top of each cupcake.
- Optional: Add plastic spiders to the tops of the white chocolate webs