I love snicker doodle cookies. They are the perfect cookie for any occasion. This recipe is my go to Snickerdoole recipe because the cookies are always chewy on the inside and crunchy on the outside. I thought I would try something new with them this holiday so that I could give them to friends and family.
By changing the way you roll the dough in the final mixture you can make fun colored Snickerdoodle cookies for Christmas or any occasion.
First mix your soften butter and softening together until mixed well. Then mix in your sugar, eggs and vanilla until it good and creamed together.
In a separate bowl mix the flour, baking soda, salt and cream of tarter with a whisk. Add half of the dry mixture with the wet mixture until blended and then add the remaining dry mixture in.
In a small bowl or ramekin mix the white sugar and cinnamon together. Then in a separate small bowl or ramekin put your colored sugar.
Roll your dough into balls and place in the colored sugar first. You'll get a more vibrant cookie this way. After it's coated in colored sugar place the dough in the cinnamon mixture and coat it completely.
I've mastered a little trick with Snickerdoodle cookies. If you place to dough in the bowl and swirl the whole bowl around on the countertop you'll coat the ball evenly on both sides without finger prints and messing up the roundness.
Place them on a cookie sheet and bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Some cookies may come out with a dome shape, but if you'd rather have a more flattened cookie simply pat it with the bottom of the spatula the moment them come out of the oven. Transfer to cookies to a cooling rack right out of the oven.
Colored Snickerdoodle CookiesPrint Pin Rate
What you will need
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 tablespoons colored sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Cream together butter, shortening, 1 1/2 cups sugar, the eggs and the vanilla.
- Blend in the flour, cream of tartar, soda and salt. Shape dough by rounded spoonfuls into balls.
- Mix the 1 tablespoon of white sugar and the cinnamon in a small bowl or ramekin.
- Place colored sugar in a separate small bowl or ramekin.
- Roll balls of dough colored sugar first. Then roll dough in the cinnamon white sugar mixture.
- Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until set but not too hard. Remove immediately from baking sheets.