I have been craving this soup for weeks since I brought home my Zaycon Foods Chicken Breasts (they went out of business). It’s so rich and creamy I know you’ll love it too. It makes a huge batch but I put it in the refrigerator and eat it for lunch every day afterward. When it gets cold it is really thick so make sure you heat it up good for your leftovers.
This is one of my favorite creamy soups. It’s the perfect soup to fill you up. It’s the first creamy based soup that I’ve made. The roux is what makes the soup. So make sure you do it right in anything you make.
What you will need
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 cooked boneless chicken breast halves, shredded
- 1 4.5 ounce package quick cooking long grain and wild rice with seasoning packet
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups heavy cream
- If you wanted to add more veggies like corn, peas, or even mushrooms I've seen it done so many different ways.
- In a large pot over medium heat, combine broth, water and chicken.
- Bring just to boiling, then stir in rice, reserving seasoning packet.
- Cover and remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper and flour.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.
- Stir in contents of seasoning packet until mixture is bubbly.
- Reduce heat to low, then stir in flour mixture by tablespoons, to form a roux.
- Whisk in cream, a little at a time, until fully incorporated and smooth.
- Cook until thickened, 5 minutes.
- Stir cream mixture into broth and rice.
- Cook over medium heat until heated through, 10 to 15 minutes.