Make an easy Chicken Pot Pie in the slow cooker to make dinner a breeze.
I'm so deprived in the world of Chicken Pot Pie. My husband doesn't like peas so we don't eat it in my house. Making a whole IPA and leaving someone out doesn't work in our house. We teach trying new things and eating the meal we are given since he doesn't do that, I just don't make certain things. Now if it's a weekend or during the week at lunchtime, that's a whole other scenario. That means I get to make whatever I want for myself and the kids without the fight. So this Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie is a great way for me to do that. I can make it and serve to the kids or eat it for my lunch during the day. I love easy crock pot recipes because they make for easy meal planning.
I rely on slow cooker and Instant Pot recipes to get me through the busy, chaotic week of being a taxi. If I don't we end up going through a drive-through or going out to eat and that gets expensive. The newer Instant Pot's also have a low cooker option which makes it the best small appliance by far. I love how loaded with vegetables this recipe is too. Big beautiful colors. I love easy recipes!
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 pound potatoes diced (use your favorite variety – pictured in ingredients photo is Yukon gold potatoes)
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 1 cup carrots peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Your favorite prepared or homemade biscuits
- For the sauce:
- 2 cups chicken stock
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- To prepare sauce, melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic, stir and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Whisk in flour and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in chicken stock, thyme, basil, and paprika. Continue whisking until the sauce begins to thicken, approximately 5 minutes. Taste and add desired amount of salt and pepper.
- Spray the inside of slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
- Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper, and place in a single layer in the bottom of the prepared slow cooker. Add potatoes, onion, carrot and celery. Stir in chicken stock mixture and bay leaves. Cover with lid and continue cooking for 3-4 hours on high heat, or 6-8 hours on low heat.
- In the last 30 minutes of cooking: remove the chicken thighs from the slow cooker and shred before returning to the crock pot. Add corn and peas to the crock pot, stirring once. Cover and cook for an additional 30 minutes. Also, this is the time to bake your biscuits as stated on the packaging (or use homemade if you prefer).
- Remove the bay leaves. Serve in bowls with fresh parsley sprinkled on top.