Winter break is rapidly approaching and I’m filling my Pinterest boards with fun things for the kids to do to beat the winter blues. This snowman ornament is fun and easy for them to do and they don’t have to stop at just making a snowman. They can make lots of great ornaments out of salted dough.
You’ll find the salted dough recipe and instructions at the bottom of this post.
Make sure to put your fingerprint indentations for the snowman and the hole to hang it in before you bake it.
Once your ornament has completely cooled, you can start to paint your snowman. Paint the fingerprints with white paint. Then you can paint the ground underneath him with white paint as well.
Paint the sky in your favorite color of blue. You can even paint a Christmas tree behind him if you want. Add the little details with some sharpie markers. Tie a piece of yarn through the hole to hang on the tree.
Hang your adorable ornament on your Christmas tree to proudly show off their art! Your kids are going to love having it displayed for everyone to see.
What you will need
- 1 cup salt
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water
- Parchment paper
- Straw/pen for punching a hole
- Mix up all the ingredients in a bowl
- Knead until the dough is firm.
- Roll the dough out on a well-floured surface until approx. ½ inch thick
- Cut it in a circle using the brim of a glass or a cookie cutter.
- Have the kids press their finger in the dough in three spots making a snowman shape.
- Use a straw or pen cap to make a hole at the top.
- Bake the ornament on parchment paper at 200 degrees for 2-3 hours.