Who doesn't love Groot!? He is one of the best characters in the Marvel universe. I mean even Drax teared up when he said We are Groot. In Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, we get Baby Groot and he steals the show hands down. I can't wait to add Vol. 2 to my collection, so to celebrate the upcoming release, I made these cute Groot Minnie Mouse ears and brought them to D23 Expo.
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 will be available on digital on August 8th and Blu-ray Aug 22nd.
Get the Target Exclusive for extra bonus features. Or get the Best Buy Exclusive Steelbook for the adorable Do Not Push Groot cover!
Check out the video on how to make the Groot Ears!
During the D23 Expo, I brought some of my favorite Disney Bounding outfits. That normally includes my favorite designer, Ashley Eckstein's Her Universe. I had a serious fangirl moment when I got to see Andi Gutierrez (The Star Wars Show) interview Ashley Eckstein (voice of Ashoka and creator of Her Universe). She dished about all the new looks coming to the Disney Parks soon. (You can see the video of that release here)I also bought the D23 Expo exclusive Minnie Mouse dress while I was there. Anyways, back to my original point. I wore the Gamora dress to one of the days of the expo solely because I had made these Groot ears. Did I mention the dress has pockets!? The nebulas are not lost on me either. I just love this dress, it makes my nerdy heart swoon. I keep a pair of plain Mickey Mouse ears handy for craft projects like my Leia Ears. They are really light so it makes adding things to them good for projects like this. I gathered some bark from a pine tree that had recently been cut down near my house. I set it out in the sun to dry out and make sure there were no more tiny bugs in the bark. I broke them up to make them thinner and not so heavy on the ears. I covered both sides of the ears with bark and then painted moss on the edges.
I glued a few twigs on and then I sealed everything with Mod Podge so that the bark would be protected from breaking. I added a bow made from burlap and green ribbon for the Minnie Mouse bow and glued Groot straight to the bow.
Here are some of the bonus features you can see. I'm sure the deleted scenes are a must!
- The Making of “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2” – A four-part, behind-the-scenes look at the making of the film, done in the style of classic-rock album liner notes.
- Visionary Intro – Director James Gunn provides context on how he continues and expands the storylines of these beloved characters in “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.”
- Guardians Inferno Music Video – Join David Hasselhoff and special guests for a galactic retro dance party.
- Gag Reel – Laugh out loud at all the hilarious off-script shenanigans and bloopers that took place on the set of “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2,” featuring all your favorite Guardians.
- Four Deleted Scenes – Check out four specific scenes that had to be cut from the film, including two extended scenes and two deleted scenes.
- Audio Commentary – Check out a special narration of the film by director James Gunn, who guides fans through an inside look at the making of the movie.
All the features listed above plus four extra exclusives:
- Three Scene Breakdowns (Digital Exclusives) – We’ll reveal the anatomy of a few key scenes from the film. Discover the process in bringing these scenes to life. It starts with a doodle and the rest is film history. Audiences will be given the option to view 5-6 layers of specific scenes in the film. Scenes include “Eclector Escape,” “Gamora and Nebula,” and “Rocket and Ravagers.”
- Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: Breakout! (Digital Exclusive) – Get an exclusive sneak peek inside the most anticipated ride at Disneyland, Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: Breakout!. We’ll dig into the concepts and inspiration, and talk about what it took to bring the most epic ride at Disneyland to life.