We are all home for the holidays this year. Make a sign to decorate your home while you’re prepping for the holidays. You can make this sign in different colors as well. Pick out some fun holiday floral and bells to give it your own holiday aspect.
Make sure to download your free Home for the Holidays cut file.
Home for the Holidays Sign
What you will need
- Craft Wood
- Jute String Thick
- Vinyl permanent
- Paint Brush of Sponge
- Transfer Tape
- Christmas Stems
- Home for the Holidays SVG file
- Wood Craft Knife or Utility Knife
Prep the board
- If the wood is not cut to size, please go ahead and do so now. Craft wood can be cut with a craft wood knife or utility knife. You can also use a table saw or hand saw. Wood Measurements (6) ⅜” x 4 x 10” (Back) (1) ⅜” x 6” x 24” (Face)
- Once the wood is cut, paint the wood first with a sponge brush in a well-ventilated area. You can also use stain.
Glue Wood Together
- With the wood cut and painted, it is time to assemble the sign. First, place the facepiece of wood flat on a surface paint down. Next, grab the back pieces and glue them to the back of the face edge to edge. This is used to hold the wood sign face pieces together.
- Place a back piece on the back of the face wood while keeping the facepiece centered on the back piece. The painted side will be glued face down.
Cut and apply vinyl
- Load SVG file in Design Space. Hit the make it button. Apply vinyl to the cutting mat and load it into the Cricut.
- Once sized accordingly, adjust your machine's setting or material dial to vinyl. Load the permanent vinyl to your machine on the cutting grip mat and hit “go.”After the cut is complete, begin to pull the negative vinyl off and away from the letters using your weeding tool.
- Cut off a piece of transfer paper the size of your cut vinyl and apply to vinyl. This will be done to help get your vinyl off the vinyl plastic backing and onto your project's surface.Next, turn the entire design facing downwards and begin gentle pulling the vinyls plastic backing off and away from the transfer paper. Starting at a corner and rolling it away slowly while applying pressure is best.
- Next, find the middle of your wood sign. Be sure to leave an equal amount of space on each side and enough room at the bottom of the wood sign to fit your second part of the SVG. Home should begin roughly 1 ¾ inch from the left edge. Holidays should end roughly 1 ¾ inch from the right edge.
- Now that the vinyl is down, string the jute rope to hang the sign. Measure out the length desired and cut.
Glue rope and flowers
- Glue each end of the rope to the backside of the completed sign about 6 inches from each edge.
- Glue Christmas floral and bells to center of top of the sign.
- Hang around your home!