We love cooking and creating fun things to eat in our house. My daughter loves throwing on her matching apron and mixing and scooping. So preparing for a fun 1st Birthday party we made these super cute Bird's Nest Cookies for our guests.
You need 2 egg whites in a large mixing bowl. Add a pinch of salt and whisk until frothy. Let your little one do the mixing for a moment and then you can do the fast stuff to make it frothy. Mix in your sweetened condensed milk and vanilla.
Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. With damp hands put a heaping tablespoon on the lined pan. Push them together to make oval or round shapes. Then form it into a nest but pushing into the center. Make sure its all still touching and that you can fit one or two candies inside.
Bake for 25 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. I've seen other recipes add chocolate to the inside of the nest to make the candies stay but we like them just the way they are. Less mess too. Take your candies (we used Cadbury Mini Robin Eggs because they look so real) and place them in the nest. This was my daughters favorite part.
Bird's Nest Dessert (Macaroons)
Bird's Nest MacaroonsPrint Pin Rate
- 2 large egg whites
- Pinch of salt
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 bags 5oz each unsweetened coconut
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp flour
- Preheat oven to 300°
- Separate egg whites in a large bowl and add the pinch of salt, whisk until frothy
- Add sweetened condensed milk and vanilla and mix well
- Fold in coconut then sugar and flour
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper
- With wet hands place a heaping tablespoon onto the lined cookie sheet
- Push together and then push your finger into the center to form little nests big enough to hold your candy
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the edges are golden brown
- After they cool completely place your candy inside the nest