We love cooking and creating fun things for our kids to eat in our house. This Easter treat is perfect for a Spring gathering.
My daughter loves throwing on her matching apron and mixing and scooping. So preparing for a fun 1st Birthday party, we made these super cute Bird’s Nest Cookies for our guests.
These are great for any springtime party or Easter get-together. My husband isn’t a huge sweets fan, but he LOVES these. Some people like to use chow mein noodles to make haystack cookies, but for these nests, I prefer long coconut.
Gather all your ingredients (Some not shown) and preheat your oven to 300°F.
Stir two egg whites in a large mixing bowl. Add a pinch of salt and whisk the mixture until frothy. Let your little one do the mixing for a moment, and then you can do the fast stuff to make it frothy. Mix in your sweetened condensed milk and vanilla.
Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. With damp hands, put a heaping tablespoon on the lined pan. Push them together to make oval or round shapes. Then form it into a nest but pushing into the center. Make sure it’s all still touching and that you can fit one or two candies inside.
Bake for 25 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. I’ve seen other recipes add chocolate to the inside of the nest to make the candies stay, but we like them just the way they are. Less messy too. Take your candy eggs (we used Cadbury Mini Robin Eggs because they look so real, but any chocolate eggs or even jelly beans would work) and place them in the nest. This was my daughter’s favorite part.
Bird’s Nest Dessert (Macaroons)
What you will need
- 2 large egg whites
- Pinch of salt
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Bag unsweetened coconut
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp flour
- Cadbury Mini Eggs
- Preheat oven to 300°
- Separate egg whites in a large bowl and add the pinch of salt, whisk until frothy
- Add sweetened condensed milk and vanilla and mix well
- Fold in coconut then sugar and flour
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper
- With wet hands place a heaping tablespoon onto the lined cookie sheet
- Push together and then push your finger into the center to form little nests big enough to hold your candy
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the edges are golden brown
- After they cool completely place your candy inside the nest