Once again I’m blown away by the technology advancements. This time in our vehicles. MyKey® technology is now in 6 million Ford and Lincoln vehicles on the road nationwide. When parents can’t be in the car with their teens this summer, MyKey it there to remind them. Ford’s MyKey® technology encourages teenagers to wear their seat belts, keep the radio volume down, watch their speed and pay attention to the road – not their cell phones.
We want out kids to be as safe as they can be on the road. It’s scary enough that they are grown up and driving, I know I’m dreading the day. The MyKey® technology gives parents a little piece of mind knowing that the vehicle is reminding their teens to be safe.
Here are some of the amazing things that this technology does:
- Persistent Ford Belt-Minder® with audio mute sounds chimes and mutes the radio to remind teens to buckle up. A message on the instrument panel is also displayed: “Buckle Up to Unmute Radio”
- Volume control can limit the audio system to 44 percent of maximum output if the radio is too loud
- A speed alert chime at 45, 55 and 65 mph will remind teens to slow down. Parents can also limit top speed to 80 mph
- “Do Not Disturb” helps parents block incoming phone calls and hold text messages on a phone paired with Ford SYNC® when teens are behind the wheel
- In addition to the typical warnings displayed when the fuel level reaches 25 and 50 miles to empty, MyKey provides an extra warning at 75 miles to remind your teen to fill up
- Low fuel reminder
- Driving aids like Park Aid and BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System)
- Restrict explicit music stations
In a recent study they found out that 62 percent of teen drivers admit to being distracted by others in the car. As well as 42 percent of teens say they turn up the radio so loud they can’t hear vehicles nearby. I’m sure your teen will be annoyed by the “Parental Controls” set on their vehicle but it’s the difference between jamming out to a song and getting hit by a train. (I’m from a small town with no track crossing gates.) I have a long time to go before my kids are driving, but I’ll be looking for a safe vehicle with the MyKey features for sure. Maybe I should just get one now because my husband likes to speed. This will stop him!