Tis the season for gifting tasty treats to loved ones for the holidays. I love baking things like cookies and toffee to give out to my neighbors. Another fun way to gift treats is by giving a jar filled with baking ingredients and the instructions like this Gingerbread Cookies in a Jar recipe!
These cookie jars are great if you are mailing the gift and don't want the cookies to end up in crumbles from going through the mail. Plus, some people enjoy making cookies themselves. Including a cookie cutter is an added bonus that keeps on giving.
Gingerbread Cookies in a Jar
What you will need
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- Printable best printed on white cardstock
- 1 quart Mason jar w/lid
- Optional: Gingerbread Man Cookie Cutter
- Use scissors to cut out printable tags (preferably on white cardstock).
- In a large mixing bowl, add all ingredients except for the brown sugar. Use a whisk to combine.
- In a 1-quart mason jar, pour in half of the flour mixture. Use a ¼ measuring cup to pack the mixture. The full content of the ingredients will not fit in the jar if it is not packed well.
- Next, add half of the brown sugar and again – use a ¼ measuring cup to pack the mixture.
- Pour in the remainder of the flour mixture, pack, and then add the remaining half of the brown sugar. Pack again before adding a lid screwed on tightly.
- Use double-sided tape to attach the printable tag to the outside of the jar, or punch a hole through the tag and thread through a ribbon in order to attach it to the jar.
- Add a gingerbread cookie cutter to the jar as well (secured with ribbon) if desired.