A Coconut Chicken recipe that is gluten and dairy free and loaded with flavor.
This dish has a lot of coconut, but I promise it isn't overpowering. My husband said, “it's like comfort food!” Which I replied, “without a drop of butter or flour!” It's hard pleasing my husband so when he says that he likes a meal it's a good sign.
I used my collection of Nutiva coconut products to make this delicious Coconut Chicken.
What you will need
- 1 pound boneless chicken breast or chicken cutlets cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 tablespoon coconut oil divided
- 6 teaspoons coconut flour divided
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt divided
- Pinch of pepper
- 1 white onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 12 ounce coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cups cooked rice for serving
- Warm 1 tbsp of coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- In a medium bowl toss chicken with flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Add chicken to skillet and cook stirring occasionally until all sides are brown and are cooked thoroughly.
- Add in onions and garlic and cook until onions are tender about 5 minutes.
- In a skillet melt 2 tbsp of coconut oil. Then whisk in 3 tsp of coconut flour to make a Coconut Roux ("roo").
- Add coconut milk and then whisk in cornstarch. Add to skillet with basil and remaining salt and stir until combined. Add your meat, onion, and garlic mixture Cook for another 3-4 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Serve over rice or coconut rice.