Bring on the leftover turkey and make some yummy.
Notes about this recipe.
This is a great use for leftover turkey or chicken. I like to freeze leftover turkey in two-cup portions for quick and easy meals like this.
Salsa verde has a fresh, tangy flavor that is delicious in this soup. If you've never used it, I suggest starting with half the amount and adding more to your liking. Especially if you make it fresh like me with extra jalapenos.
If you like more broth, feel free to use more. And if you like a thicker soup, just use a little less.
I used the homemade broth to give this a deeper flavor, but store-bought will work just fine.
I keep a variety of frozen vegetables on hand to make quick soups. They're inexpensive and a huge time saver. You can also use fresh vegetables if you prefer.
What you will need
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups cooked shredded turkey meat
- 1 4- ounce can green chiles
- 2 15- oz Great Northern rinsed & drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt to taste
- Add all of the ingredients to a pot and bring to a simmer.
- Cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes to allow the flavors to combine.
- Taste and adjust the salt to your liking,
- Serve with crackers, cornbread or garlic bread.
- Additional toppings may include fresh cilantro, green onions, sour cream, cheddar cheese and/or hot sauce!