These Grinch cookies are a fun and colorful treat to make together as a family and perfect for a holiday gather (or any time of year). You can make them in any color, but we decided to extend the holiday magic a little longer.
Thanks to Illumination for sending us Dr. Suess' The Grinch on Blu-ray.
Who says you can't enjoy the holidays all year round? I know I plan to! Dr. Suess' The Grinch is available on digital today and Blu-ray on February 5th. Here is one of my favorite clips from the movie.
Enter to win The Grinch at the bottom of this post!
BONUS FEATURES EXCLUSIVE TO 4K ULTRA HD, 3D BLU-RAYTM, BLU-RAYTM AND DVD:
- Who's Who in Who-ville (interactive map) – There are so many interesting characters that call Who-ville home that it’s hard to keep track of them all. This “Who’s Who” pop-up book uses animation to create a virtual storybook that takes us from Who-ville to Mt. Crumpit.
- “You're A Mean One, Mr. Grinch” Lyric Video – Tyler, The Creator puts a modern spin on the Seussian Christmas classic.
MINI-MOVIES ON 4K ULTRA HD, 3D BLU-RAYTM, BLU-RAYTM, DVD & DIGITAL:
- Yellow is the New Black – Before they all make their big escape from prison in Despicable Me 3, a couple of lucky Minions get a taste of freedom as they break free with the help of one of their fellow human inmates.
- Dog Days of Winter – Max braves the harsh winter weather and an uncooperative Who to bring a sick Grinch his favorite hot tea.
- Santa's Little Helpers – Fan favorites – the Minions – are back for another adventure! Having been accidentally dropped off at the North Pole, our Minion pals make the most of the situation by trying to become elves.
BONUS FEATURES ON 4K ULTRA HD, 3D BLU-RAYTM, BLU-RAYTM, DVD & DIGITAL:
- The Making of the Mini-Movies – Mini in size but not in heart, these short films are fan favorites. From the Grinch and Max to the Minions – you’ll explore the themes of each of the mini-movies through the eyes of the filmmakers who made them.
- From Green to Screen – It takes a lot to bring grumpy green to your home screen. This inside look at the making of Illumination’s Dr. Seuss’s The Grinch features interviews and behind-the-scenes moments with the cast, filmmakers and artists whose hearts have all grown three sizes bringing this classic tale to life.
- Illuminating THE GRINCH – Using filmmaker and cast interviews, concept art and progression reels, we take a behind-the-scenes look at how the characters evolved from initial sketches to fully realized characters.
- My Earliest GRINCH Memories – The cast and filmmakers of Dr. Seuss’s The Grinch reveal their earliest memories of the grumpy green character and the enduring appeal of this Christmas curmudgeon’s journey to redemption.
- Grinchy Gadgets – From his body-size blow dryer to his moving mechanical chair, from his catapult to his dog drone-rig and more… you’ll get to explore the wondrous world of Grinch’s gadgets.
- “I Am The Grinch” Lyric Video – A stylized look at Tyler, The Creator’s original song created just for the film.
- Songs From His Little Heart – Take a deep dive into the toe-tapping beats of Dr. Seuss’s The Grinch. From score to specialty songs, you’ll hear from the film’s A-list musicians on what it took to create the music behind the movie.
- X-mas Around the World – Every culture practices Christmas in a slightly different way. We’ll highlight some of the more fun permutations of the holiday around the globe.
- Cindy-Lou's Yule Log – Nothing says the holidays quite like an animated fireplace blasting fake heat from your living room television. Just in time for winter, we’ll recreate Cindy-Lou’s living room on Christmas Eve for all to enjoy.
- Production Babies – A celebration of the babies born to the filmmakers during the production of Illumination’s Dr. Seuss’s The Grinch.
- Any Who Can Draw – Hosted by an Illumination artist and head of story Mark O'Hare, you’ll see step-by-step how to draw some of your favorite characters from this beloved holiday classic; Grinch, Max and Fred!
- 3/4 C unsalted sweet cream butter softened
- 1 C sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 C flour
- 1/4 C cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Food Coloring leaf green and red
Vanilla Frosting Ingredients :
- 1 C unsalted sweet cream butter softened
- 4-5 C powdered sugar
- 1/4 C heavy whipping cream
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 disposable piping bag
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl add the butter and sugar.
- beat with an electric mixer on medium-high speed. Beat until very pale and fluffy (about 3 to 5 minutes).
- Add the egg, and beat until well combined.
- Add in the egg yolk and vanilla extract beat until combined.
- Add the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt.
- Beat on low until well combined.
- Divide dough into 2 bowls and add food coloring, mixing well with a fork
- Chill dough for 30 minutes or more
- Make golf ball sized dough balls using both colors of dough for each cookie
- Bake the cookies 8-12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the cookie sheet for 2 minutes
- Pair up the cookies to their matching sizes
- Using a standing mixer, beat the butter on medium speed until creamy
- Mix in the powdered sugar, heavy whipping cream, and vanilla extract until combined and smooth
- If the frosting is to thin, mix in 1/4 C more of powdered sugar
- Once the frosting is combined and smooth, scoop into the disposable piping bag
- Cut the tip off the piping bag and pipe a dollop onto the bottom cookies of each pair
- Place the top cookie onto the frosting and lightly push down to make a sandwich