I am an eMeals blogger, this post contains affiliate links that help support this site.
I'm such a sucker for Slow Cooker meals. They are so easy to make and great for working families that rush home after a busy day and the first thing out of everyone's mouth is, whats for dinner? eMeals now has a great Slow Cooker meal plan to mix it up from the regular roast and potatoes. I'll be switching my account over to give it a try! I have a whole Pinterest board of Slow Cooker Recipes that I've been collecting, can't wait to try some of these new ones. Like this Ham, Kale and Navy Bean Stew.
Slow-Cooker Savvy: Make Your Best Meals (w/Michele Scicolone)
The slow cooker eMeals meal plan is priced (though not store specific), feeds a family of 6, and generally costs around $120 per week (or less). That’s only $2.86/person per meal! For those of you with smaller families, there’s also a For Two plan available. The recipes utilize mainstream ingredients, all available at your local grocery store, and appeal to a broad range of tastes and preferences.
This delicious Ham, Kale and Navy Bean Stew is served over homey Cheese Grits, and appears on this week’s Slow-Cooker Classic Meal Plan. The eMeals team devoured the leftovers for lunch, and it would freeze perfectly. If you’re interested in learning more about the convenience of year-round slow-cooker cooking, check out the meal plan here.
What you will need
- 6 carrots thinly sliced
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 lb potato peeled and cubed
- 2 15-oz cans navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 16-oz package chopped kale (or collard greens)
- 1 28-oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 16-oz package fully cooked cubed ham
- 1 32-oz carton chicken broth
- 2 cups uncooked quick-cooking grits
- 1 8-oz package shredded sharp white Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- For Stew: Combine carrots, onion and potato in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Top with beans, kale, tomatoes and ham; pour in broth.
- Cover and cook on LOW 8 hours or until vegetables are tender. Stir in salt and pepper to taste.
- For Grits: Cook grits according to package directions; stir in cheese and butter until blended and smooth. Serve stew over grits.