Snack time is my kids favorite time. They get to pick something out that will hold them over until dinner time but also satisfy a sweet or savory tooth. These are some of our favorite after-school snacks that are also healthy and good for you. With an occasional hint of chocolate to make it extra special. Kid approved and Mom approved for the health values!
SCROLL DOWN FOR THE FRUSHI RECIPE
I've made a lot of these myself but some I'm dying to try and keep on hand in the future. Like Fruit Sushi, also known as Frushi, which I tried while visiting Epcot this past year during the International Food and Garden Festival. You can find the recipe below.
What you will need
- 2 cups sushi rice cooked per package directions
- 1 tablespoon cream of coconut
- 16 soy wrappers or homemade fruit leather
- 16 fresh strawberries hulled and quartered
- 1/2 cantaloupe cut into four-inch-long by 1/4-inch-wide rectangles
- 1/2 pineapple peeled and cored cut into four-inch-long by 1/4-inch-wide rectangles
- Toasted coconut for garnish
- Let sushi rice cool slightly; stir in cream of coconut. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Lay one soy wrapper on a flat surface. Place about 1/4 cup sushi rice on the soy wrapper, pressing with moistened fingers to cover the whole sheet.
- Place one piece each of pineapple and cantaloupe, and four pieces of strawberry in the center of the rice-covered sheet.
- Starting at one end, fold about one-third of the roll-up, then roll the sheet into a cylinder, keeping the fruit in the middle. Moisten soy wrapper to seal.
- Cut into 4 equal pieces. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Garnish with toasted coconut.