My heart is filled with frosting, at least it will be with these delicious heart filled shortbread cookies. These Valentine's cookies are perfect for sharing with your loved ones.
My girls love to bake, especially when it involves cookie cutters and sprinkles. One of the things I love about this recipe is that the icing uses raspberries to give it flavor and the pink color. Natures food coloring! Raspberries also offer a lot of flavor.
I think when it comes to holiday baking, cookies are my go-to treat because they are easy to share. Bring them to the classroom for students or to your office for your coworkers.
For this recipe, I suggest a heart-shaped cookie cutter and if you have a square and a circle as well. Once you are done baking, you can place your cookies in this fun Valentine's Box that doubles as a Ti-Tac-Toe board.
This recipe calls for making lots of cookies because you're going to be layering them with icing.
Grab the sprinkles, and let's get baking!
What you will need
- 3 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp cream of tarter
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup butter or margarine softened
- 1-1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3-1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 oz cream cheese
- ½ cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cup powdered sugar
- 8 fresh raspberries the raspberries add a nice flavor and pink color.
- Valentine's Sprinkles
- Hand or stand mixer
- heart cookie cutter
Instructions for Cookies
- Mix butter with a mixer until creamy.
- Continue mixing while adding sugar gradually until a fluffy texture.
- Add eggs, one at a time until combined.
- Stir in vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, cream of tartar, salt and baking soda.
- Add flour mixture a cup at a time to the butter mixture stirring by hand until it becomes the consistency of cookie dough. It should be a firm dough. Form into a smooth ball and place in a bowl.
- Chill, covered, for several hours or overnight.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Roll dough to approx. 1/8 inch thick and cut with larger heart or shape cutter of your choice (I used heart, square and circle.) Reserve ½ the shapes for bottoms and cut smaller hearts into the other 1/2 for tops. You can also bake each tiny cut out piece for little munchies.
- Bake all pieces at 375 degree oven for 6-8 minutes until light brown on bottoms. They should remain light-colored.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Spread icing on each bottom piece and top with heart cut piece. You can top the icing cut-out areas with sprinkles if you choose.
Instructions for Icing
- Combine butter, cream cheese, and vanilla with 2 cups of the sugar, beating with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add additional sugar to mixture as needed to achieve a spreadable consistency.
- Add raspberries and mix until combined. At this time, you may need to add more sugar if the berries thin the consistency too much.