Boooooook! You can’t have a Hocus Pocus themed party without including Winifred’s Spellbook! These Spellbook Brownies are so simple to make and decorate. Kids will love these Halloween treats.
Edible candy eyes are something I’ve started keeping on hand because they make food so much more fun. Like a monster sandwich surprise in one of the kid’s lunch boxes.
If you want to make this Halloween treat even easier, you can buy a box of brownie mix and a black icing tube.
The natural wrinkles of the brownie make it look like the “human skin” binding of the spellbook. Add the icing for the stitches and the wandering eye and you have a spooky spellbook!
What you will need
- 1/2 unsalted butter
- 3/4 C sugar
- 3 tsp vanilla
- 2 large eggs room temp
- 3/4 C unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 C flour
- 1-2 TBSP instant coffee granules
- 1 container black cookie icing
- 1 container of large candy eyes
- 1 disposable piping bag
- 1 number 2 tip
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line an 8x8 baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a standing mixer cream together the butter, sugar, vanilla, and eggs in a medium bowl.
- Add the cocoa powder, flour and coffee granules, beating until combined with the butter mixture.
- Spread the batter into the prepped baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the brownies from the oven and allow them to fully cool.
- Once completely cooled cut into bars.
- Squeeze the black cookie icing into the piping bag
- Pipe a dollop of the icing onto the back of an eye
- Place eye onto the middle of the brownie along the side as shown in the image
- Pipe a black circle around the eye
- Pipe a zig-zag down one side of brownie
- Pipe a line straight down next to the zig zag
- Pipe stitches across the line
- Pipe half circle on the corners of the bar
- Allow icing to dry for an hour