Do you love hot chocolate? Then you are going to love this new twist on a classic cinnamon roll. These Hot Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls are a tasty treat or perfect for a special occasion breakfast. They are loaded with marshmallows and chocolate; they will be your next guilty pleasure.
No judgment here. Pass the marshmallows because I am all about putting them on EVERYTHING! Fluffernutter sandwiches were my favorite growing up. I’m also a sucker for anything s’mores.
While I guess I can’t technically call these cinnamon rolls because there is no cinnamon in them, you get the idea behind them. Instead of a cinnamon layer of deliciousness, you get a marshmallow and chocolate layer that is rolled up in the dough. I think I would be ok with having one of these in the place of a cupcake for a celebration. Bake me a batch of these, and I’m sold. The best thing about this recipe is that you can start with a triple chocolate cake mix. You’ll want to transform it into a dough by adding flour and yeast to the mix. After the dough has risen, you’ll roll it out to add the chocolate and mallow bites across it before rolling it into a log. After the rolls are done baking, make sure you cool them completely before adding the marshmallow fluff and chocolate. They will melt even further. You will be heating the marshmallow fluff to make it easier to drizzle over the top of your Hot Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls though.
What you will need
Chocolate cinnamon rolls Ingredients
- 1 box of Triple Chocolate cake mix
- 2 1/2 C flour
- 2 C warm water
- 2 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 C unsalted sweet cream butter melted
- 1 C Mallow Bits plus more for topping
- 1 1/2 - 2 C mini chocolate chips plus more for topping
- 1 container of Marshmallow creme
- 1 container of chocolate sauce
- 2 disposable piping bags to drizzle the marshmallow cream and the chocolate sauce
Chocolate cinnamon roll directions:
- Using a large mixing bowl, mix together the cake mix, flour, warm water, and yeast.
- Mix until slightly combined
- Once combined, place dough onto a floured surface and knead until combined and the dough bounces back after touching it
- Place dough into a large glass bowl and brush the 1 tbsp oil onto the top of the dough and sides of the glass bowl
- Cover with a kitchen towel and let sit for an hour
- Once the dough has doubled in size, place dough onto floured surface and roll out to 1/8 inch
- Brush with melted butter and sprinkle 1 C Mallow bites and 1 1/2 C mini chocolate chips
- Roll dough into a log
- Cut into 1 1/2 inch thick rolls
- Place rolls into a baking dish and cover again for another hour
- Once the hour is up, preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Once the oven is preheated, bake the cinnamon rolls for 30 minutes
- Once the rolls are done baking, let them cool for about 20 minutes
- Using the chocolate sauce, drizzle chocolate sauce onto the rolls
- Using a small microwave-safe bowl, scoop some marshmallow creme into the bowl and place in the microwave on intervals of 10-15 seconds or until the cream is soft
- Scoop the marshmallow creme into the piping bag and cut off the tip of the bag
- Drizzle onto the cinnamon rolls
- Sprinkle some mini chocolate chips and mallow bites onto the rolls
- Wait about 10 minutes before enjoying!