This Instant Pot Chipotle Chicken Carnitas with Pickled Red Onions recipe is delicious and easy dinner idea that the whole family will love.
I finally bought myself an Instant Pot! During one of the sales, I decided that I was finally going to get one. I sprung for the DUO model because it offers slow cooker and yogurt settings that the other model does not. I've used it quite a bit since I got it even though it was very intimidating. High pressure means high anxiety while cooking but I promise that ends once you make a few meals in it. My husband said the same thing when I tried to explain it to him on the phone one night.
For this recipe, I used some of my favorite seasonings and Stonyfield's new Double Cream to make the Chipotle Ranch that I drizzled on top. I also made a quick batch of pickled red onions because you can't have goodMexican food without some. We tried them for the first time while we were in Cancun and I fell in love. I had no idea how easy they were the make. So you're actually getting three recipes in one post because having them together is the way to go!
Let's start with the Pickled Red Onions so they have time to “pickle.”
The onions add a blast of flavor to any Mexican dish. You just need to boil the vinegar with the seasoning and pour it over thinly sliced red onions. I put mine into a mason jar to make it easier to place into the refrigerator.
Now let's make the Chipotle Ranch dip sauce. Using Stonyfield Double Cream in the place of sour cream, I've cut out a lot of calories. It looks and feels just like sour cream. Double Cream is the ultimate cooking yogurt! Great as a substitute for oil, mayo, buttermilk, butter or sour cream in your favorite recipes. I also used a packet of Simply Organic Chipotle Ranch Dip as well as one chipotle pepper in adobo sauce.
The chipotle carnitas are easy to through together in the pressure cooker. Don't bother with the tray, just throw everything in so it can keep the juices together. Pairing them with avocado and some fresh cilantro is perfect but I wanted the added flavors of the chipotle ranch and the pickled red onions as well.
This is also a dish that I prefer to enjoy corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas. Warm them up a little in the skillet to make them crispy.
Instant Pot Chipotle Chicken Carnitas with Pickled Red OnionsPrint Pin Rate
- Pickled Red Onions
- 1 red onion
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp Simply Organic cumin
- 1/2 Tsp Mexican oregano
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 distilled white vinegar
- Chipotle Ranch Sauce:
- Packet of Simply Organic Chipotle Ranch Dip
- Stonyfield Double Cream
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1/2 tsp adobo sauce
- 1/4 tsp Simply Organic Garlic Powder
- Instant Pot Chipotle Chicken Carnitas:
- 1 lb skinless chicken breast
- 1 tsp Simply Organic Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Simply Organic adobo seaning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp Mexican oregano
- 5 garlic cloves crushed and chopped
- 1 Chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 tsp adobo sauce
- 1 lime zested and juiced
- 1/4 chicken broth
- Pickled Red Onions:
- Thinly slice red onions and place into a mason jar.
- Bring vinegar, cumin, bay leaf, salt, pepper, and Mexican oregano to a boil.
- Pour over onions and place lid.
- Cool completely.
- Chipotle Ranch Sauce:
- Using a blender or a food processor, chop chipotle pepper.
- Mix Double Cream, dip packet, garlic powder, and adobo sauce with chopped chipotle pepper. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Pressure Cooker Chipotle Chicken Carnitas:
- In a bowl, whisk together the cumin, adobo seasoning, salt, pepper, and Mexican oregano. Coat the chicken completely.
- Turn your Instant Pot to Sautee, pour a small amount of oil in and place your chicken in the pot.
- You are just trying to slightly cook the outside of the chicken so that the seasoning will stay on.
- Remove the chicken and place the garlic into the pot, cook for 1 minute. Turn off the saute setting.
- Place chicken, lime zest, lime juice, chicken broth, chipotle pepper, and adobo sauce into your pressure cooker.
- Place lid and make sure venting valve is closed. Select Poultry and 10 minutes.
- Let the pot naturally pressure release for 10 minutes.
- Shred chicken with a fork in the pot to cover with the remainder of the juices.
- *If you would like crispy chicken, place on a cookie sheet and broil on high until they are the desired crispness.