Doing S.T.E.A.M./ S.T.E.M. projects and crafting kits with my kiddos has always been a favorite pastime, especially with Pinterest sharing lots of fun ideas. But sometimes it’s hard gathering everything you need. I am constantly busy and never think of anything creative to do with my kids, so when KiwiCo sent me some of their boxes to review, I was super excited.
KiwiCo is an awesome monthly subscription service for kids from 0-24 months to adults. There are so many great subscription boxes to choose from now. We have reviewed the Kiwi Crate, Tinker Crate, Maker Crate, and even the newest box, the Yummy Crate.
Learn the Chemistry of Cooking with Yummy Crate from KiwiCo – JaMonkey
We are big advocates for STEM projects and activities to keep kids (and teens) interested in learning. My goal is to hear my child say, “WHOA!” while they build. Even when something isn’t working the way it’s supposed to; the box helps to cultivate creative problem solvers. KiwiCo Crates are absolutely worth every penny. Since the company started, I’ve been writing product reviews for these boxes, and I stand by my statement when I say they are the best subscription box company on the market. The boxes continue to get better and better, and the options continue to expand.
KiwiCo offers discounts regularly. Save 30% on your first month with code LEARN30, plus there are discounts available throughout the year. These boxes also make great gift ideas.
Which KiwiCo Crate is right for your family?
KiwiCo has lots of great boxes to choose from. Here they are in order by age group.
- Panda Crate 0-24 months – Panda Crate was inspired by the vision of helping busy parents nurture their naturally curious and creative babies. They designed each crate to help babies learn by doing what they do best — playing, exploring, and most importantly, interacting with loving adults in their lives.
- Koala Crate ages 2-4 – Koala Crate was created to expose preschoolers to new materials, tools, and concepts for hands-on learning and fun. As parents, we know it’s not always easy to provide these quality experiences for our children, and want to make it easy and convenient to build, explore, and create together.
- Kiwi Crate ages 5-8 – Kiwi Crate was created to celebrate kids’ natural creativity and curiosity while helping parents provide enriching experiences for their children. Our STEAM-based projects are designed to spark a love for learning. We want to make it fun, easy, and delightful for families to spend time building, exploring, and creating together. We’ve got a few of these boxes since the company’s start. Some of the themes included Birds where we made a bird’s nest with egg and a feathered costume craft, Arcade where we made a claw machine arm and pom-pom monsters to pick up, the Science of Magic, and our most recent box was the Ombre Geode Soap Making kit.
- Atlas Crate ages 6-11 – Atlas Crate is designed to help your child appreciate other world cultures and geography across the globe. We hope to connect kids creatively and intellectually with communities and customs beyond their own experience through immersive, hands-on STEAM activities.
- Yummy Crate ages 6-14 – helps kids discover the science of cooking with recipes and activities that explore hands-on experimentation in and out of the kitchen.
- Doodle Crate ages 9-16+ – Doodle Crate is an invitation for young makers to express themselves creatively. Dig into fun crafting tools and interesting techniques, and see how materials transform. With projects to foster creativity to build inner confidence and a strong sense of self, kids also learn to tackle other challenges with tenacity and persistence.
- Tinker Crate ages 9-16+ – We believe that STEM learning develops and inspires the next generation of innovators — from scientists, engineers, and leaders alike. The design of Tinker Crate reflects this — infusing STEM concepts into each crate’s themes with enriching projects and activities that are accessible and fun for all types of learners.
- Maker Crate 14-adults – Maker Crate is a monthly craft box dedicated to discovering new art projects and design tools to help turn artistic visions into design realities. Whether you’re a new crafter or an experienced maker, each crate is designed to introduce fresh techniques, draw inspiration from real designs, and take pride in a finished project that’s both fun and functional. Some of the boxes include Loom Knitting Hats, Punch-Needle Pillow, Macrame Plant Holders, and more.
- Eureka Crate 14-adults – Eureka Crate inspires innovators to think about the design and engineering behind everyday objects. Explore hands-on lessons in the creative application of the scientific principles behind real-world problems. With Eureka Crate, join the ongoing story of invention — and build the creative confidence to write the next chapter. This box (and the Maker Crate) is a great option to get your teenager off their phone and create something.
They inspire kids to create something unique that they can be proud of. The best part about the KiwiCo Crates is that it includes everything you need to create multiple projects inside the box. The box is packed full! So you don’t have to scramble around looking for a missing object on the list. The directions are printed with images, so if your little one wanted to try and do it completely by themselves, they could. While many crates include wooden parts for engineering, the Maker Crate really impressed me with the custom knitting looms and crafting tools.
Each month’s project has a theme, and the materials and supplemental information follow that theme. In a previous box, the theme was all about birds, and it included a nest with eggs and a bird costume project. There was also a cool guide with fun facts about all different kinds of birds, so creation time can also be learning time. This box would be great for any parent, but I think it’s especially great for busy moms who don’t have time to dig for ideas and gather all the supplies. Camp moms keep the kids entertained all summer long, and the boredom bug strikes. I think homeschooling parents would also like it. It would throw something new into the curriculum for that month, or you can find a specific single crate to go with something you’re learning that month. Either way, it’s a win-win!
KiwiCo Store also offers single crate projects and category boxes. It’s pretty great that you can buy just one box if you want to test it out before committing to a monthly subscription. I’m pretty sure you’ll be hooked after the first crate, though. Depending on how many months you’d like to commit to, the price goes down with the more you buy. If you’d like to sign up for a month-to-month subscription, KiwiCo Crates start at $17.50 per month, plus free shipping in the US. There are 3-month, 6-month, and 12-month subscription options.
We super duper love this company and plan on getting them every so often to fill our rainy day box, especially since it’s been raining like crazy lately.
Check out our video below to see all the great stuff that comes inside the box and the fun S.T.E.A.M. projects we created.
STEAM = Science. Technology. Engineering. Arts. Mathematics.
This is a great craft! Even with having teens, we still love doing crafts.
We have had a similar craft box from another company and I would have to say yours looks pretty cool! My 4 year old would LOVE IT!
Such a great idea for a monthly subscription. I’ll definitely have to remember kiwicrate for when my son is a little older.
I am in LOVE with subscription boxes! I’m honestly stoked that they make them for kiddos now, too! Perfect way to keep them entertained affordably