Doing S.T.E.A.M. projects and crafting with my kiddos has always been a favorite pastime, especially with Pinterest sharing lots of fun ideas. But sometimes it’s hard gathering everything you need. I am constantly busy and never seem to think of anything creative to do with my kids, so when KiwiCo sent me their box to review, I was super excited.
KiwiCo is an awesome monthly subscription service for kids as young as 0-24 months to 14-adults. There are so many great boxes to choose from now. We have reviewed the Kiwi Crate for children 5-8 and the Tinker Crate for ages 9-16+.
Which KiwiCo Crate is right for your family?
KiwiCo has lots of great boxes to choose from. Here they are in order by age group.
- Panda Crate 0-24 months – Panda Crate was inspired by the vision of helping busy parents nurture their naturally curious and creative babies. They designed each crate to help babies learn by doing what they do best — playing, exploring, and most importantly, interacting with loving adults in their lives.
- Koala Crate ages 2-4 – Koala Crate was created to expose preschoolers to new materials, tools, and concepts for hands-on learning and fun. As parents, we know it’s not always easy to provide these quality experiences for our children, and want to make it easy and convenient to build, explore, and create together.
- Kiwi Crate ages 5-8 – Kiwi Crate was created to celebrate kids’ natural creativity and curiosity while helping parents provide enriching experiences for their children. Our STEAM-based projects are designed to spark a love for learning, We want to make it fun, easy, and delightful for families to spend time building, exploring, and creating together.
- Atlas Crate ages 6-11 – Atlas Crate is designed to help your child develop an appreciation for other world cultures. Through immersive, hands-on STEAM activities, we hope to connect kids creatively and intellectually with communities and customs beyond their own experience.
- Doodle Crate ages 9-16+ – Doodle Crate is an invitation for young makers to express themselves creatively. Dig into fun crafting tools and interesting techniques, and see how materials can transform. With projects to foster creativity to build inner confidence and a strong sense of self, kids also learn to tackle other challenges with tenacity and persistence.
- Tinker Crate ages 9-16+ – We believe that STEM learning develops and inspires the next generation of innovators — from scientists, engineers, and leaders alike. The design of Tinker Crate reflects this — infusing STEM concepts into each crate’s themes with enriching projects and activities that are accessible and fun for all types of learners.
- Maker Crate 14-adults – Maker Crate is a monthly craft box dedicated to the discovery of new art and design tools to help turn artistic visions into design realities. Whether you’re a new crafter or an experienced maker, each crate is designed to introduce fresh techniques, draw inspiration from real designs, and take pride in a finished project that’s both fun and functional.
- Eureka Crate 14-adults – Eureka Crate inspires innovators to think about the design and engineering behind everyday objects. Explore hands-on lessons in the creative application of the scientific principles behind real-world problems. With Eureka Crate, join the ongoing story of invention — and build the creative confidence to write the next chapter.
Previously the Kiwi Crate had a lot of crafting projects. Now, the Kiwi Crate is more S.T.E.M. focused. Here is what we received before. There were two crafts for you to do in our Kiwi Crate with your children that are fun and easy for little hands to do by themselves. They inspire kids to create something unique that they can be proud of. The best part about the KiwiCrate is that everything you need to create two crafts is inside the box. The pack is full! So you don’t have to scramble around looking for a missing object on the list. The directions are printed with directions shown in images, so if your little one wanted to try and do it completely by themselves, they could.
Each month has a theme, and both crafts follow that theme. The box we got was all about birds, and it included a nest with eggs and a bird costume. There was also a fun guide with fun facts about all different kinds of birds, so craft time can also become learning time. This box would be great for any parent, but I think it’s especially great for Busy moms who don’t have a lot of time to dig for ideas and then gather all the supplies. Camp moms that are keeping the kids entertained all summer long, and the boredom bug strikes. I think Homeschooling parents would also like it. It would throw something new into the curriculum for that month, or you can find a specific single crate to go with something you’re learning that month. Either way, it’s a win-win!
KiwiCrate also offers Single Crate craft projects and category boxes, Party Favors (or stocking Stuffers), and past craft projects that you’d like to buy more of. Depending on how many months you’d like to commit to, the price goes down with the more you buy. If you’d like to sign up for a month-to-month membership, it’s only $19.95. If you have children the same age in the house, you can add-on a Sibling option to your membership for a “no-fight” crate, too, for only $7.95. There aren’t many companies that offer this at all.
We super duper love this box and plan on getting them every so often to fill our rainy day box, especially since it’s been raining like crazy lately.
Check out our video below to see all the great stuff that comes inside the box and the fun crafts we created.