I'm a sucker for adorable cookies and these easy ladybug cookies are pretty cute! Perfect for a themed Valentine's Day Love Bug cookie treat. This is an easy ladybug cookies recipe for kids to make together and share. The Valentine's Day sugar cookie is made to look like grass and the ladybug on top is a chocolate truffle.
This recipe has two steps, the candy decorating and the cookie baking. You want to start by making the ladybugs ahead of time so they are completely dry when you place them on top of the cookie. For this recipe, we used premade Wilton Cookie Icing because I know we are all busy and making a huge batch of cookie icing and coloring it can take forever. Plus, these icings can be stored for later and super easy for kids to use, so I love having them on hand for projects like this.
After you're done backing your cookie let it cool completely before putting the green icing or chocolate ladybug on top. You don't want it melting off. Make a little grassy path on the top and place your ladybug right in the middle.
Super easy, super adorable, and super tasty! This Love Bug is sure to please! Ladybug sugar cookies
- Unwrap 12 of the truffles and place onto a wire rack over a cookie sheet
- Using the red icing, pipe a line across the middle of the truffle and cover the back half with the icing. Making sure that there is still 1/4 of the truffle bare for the face.
- Allow drying for 1 hour
- Pipe a black line down the middle of the red
- Pipe black dots on the ladybug
- Pipe white dots on the bare part of the chocolate to create the eyes
- Pipe a small black dot on the white to create the pupil
- Allow drying for 30 minutes
- Preheat oven at 350º F.
- Using a standing mixer, combine cake mix, vegetable oil, and 2 eggs until combined.
- Mix in a few drops of Green food coloring until combined
- Take about 1 TSP of each color of dough and form into tablespoon sized balls.
- Pour the sanding sugar into a bowl
- Roll cookie dough into the sanding sugar
- Place cookie dough balls about 2 inches apart on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Lightly push each cookie dough ball down so that it becomes a thick but flat disk.
- Bake for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Set aside to cool completely
- Using the green icing, pipe grass in the middle of the cookies
- Place the ladybug in the middle of the grass
- Place heart around the grass