We generally have meat almost every night, so I finally started making a few meatless meals to save some money and spare us from the same menu each week. This one was a huge hit with my husband, who was very sad about Meatless Monday. Plus, I learned how to Chiffonade yesterday!
This is a great Summertime Pasta dish. It’s light and very flavorful despite its looks. This is also a simple throw-it-together dish. The amounts don’t have to be precise for it to taste amazing. You can play with the measurements to accommodate your taste buds. For this recipe, I prefer to use whole wheat spaghetti or angel hair. I’m not sure why, but the flavor profile is just better with whole wheat pasta. Thinly slice the yellow squash so that it is long as the pasta. Saute the garlic in olive oil and then add in your yellow squash and continue cooking until slightly tender. Set the squash aside.
Drain the pasta and place it in a large bowl. Toss pasta, olive oil, and yellow squash together. Squeeze in lemon juice, parmesan cheese, and basil and continue tossing.
What you will need
- 1/2 Lemon
- 1 to 2 Cloves Garlic
- 4 Ounces Spaghetti This Recipe is best with Thin Whole Grain Pasta
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 to 6 Fresh Basil Leaves chiffonade
- 1 Yellow Squash or 1 to 2 tomatoes chunked
- 1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese
- Boil and prepare spaghetti.
- Mince your garlic and put it in a pan with the Olive Oil. Heat on Med-High Heat until the garlic starts to brown.
- While your garlic browns cut the Squash lengthwise very thin almost like spaghetti.
- Place into the pan with your garlic and olive oil and heat until slightly tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Drain pasta and place in a large bowl. Pour in the olive oil, garlic, and squash mix. Squeeze the half lemon over all of the pasta and toss together.
- Add the Parmesan Cheese and Chiffonade Basil leaves and continues to toss until well blended.
Serve with garlic bread or bread with Olive Oil and herbs. Such a great dinner!