This post is brought to you by Dixie Crystals Kids Kitchen.
Get your kids into the kitchen to make this fun edible craft for their teachers or just a simple Thanksgiving treat. They are simple to make and fun to eat. Not to mention that look so cute. You can see a step by step video at the bottom of this post.
Here is what you will need to make these cute edible treats.
Mini pretzel sticks
Red candy melts (or green, yellow would work too)
Dixie Crystals Granulated Sugar
Red food coloring
Foam or cardboard to put the finished apples into to dry
Roll your fondant flat and cut it into leaves and make the leaves veins. Set them aside to dry while you prepare the candy melt and sugar coating.
Mix the Dixie Crystals granulated sugar and red food coloring. Use a spatula to mix and blend the red food coloring into the sugar. This is going to the coating on your apples.
Melt your red candy melts until it is nice and smooth. Add your Apple Oil Flavor. Place a marshmallow unto a lollipop stick. If you give it a little twist is will stick better because it’s sticky on the inside.
Coat your marshmallow in the melted candy melt and then dip it into the red sugar mixture. Then you need to take a pretzel stick and break it in half. Dip the end in the candy melt and place onto the top of the marshmallow. Do the same with one of your fondant leaves.
Place the stick into your foam to air dry without causing a flat spot.
I placed mine into the refrigerator to harden faster. I was impatient and wanted to try them. It was so worth it too. They are tasty.
Wrap the apples up in a cellophane bag, tie with ribbon and use our free printable gift tags for a thoughtful teacher, friend or neighbor gift. Write “I’m thankful for you” or “Here’s an apple for my teacher” as a way to show your appreciation for others this Thanksgiving holiday.
What you will need
- 8 Ounces miniature marshmallows
- 1/8 cup water
- 1 pound Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 2 tablespoons shortening or butter
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon orange mint or any type of flavor
- Green food coloring
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Red food coloring
- 12 Ounces bag of red chocolate candy melts
- 12 lollipop sticks
- 12 large marshmallows
- 12 mini pretzel sticks
- Make green colored fondant:
- Place mini marshmallows and water in a large microwave oven safe bowl and heat in 20 second increments. Stir in between heating sessions. Heat until marshmallows have melted and mixture is smooth and resembles marshmallow fluff.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, about a cup at a time waiting for previous added amount to be fully incorporated. Reserve about 1/2 cup of powdered sugar.
- Add shortening or butter and knead into dough.
- Add flavor and food color as desired.
- Knead in remaining powdered sugar.
- Wrap fondant in plastic food wrap. If kneading fondant quickly, place in refrigerator for about an hour. Otherwise keep at room temperature until following day(s).
- For a firmer fondant, knead in additional powdered sugar.
- Take a small bit of fondant and shape into small green leaves. Use a toothpick to draw veins in each leaf. Set aside.
- Mix sugar with a few drops of red food coloring in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Melt red candy melts according to package.
- Insert a lollipop stick into a marshmallow and dip into the candy melts until fully covered.
- Immediately cover marshmallow in red colored sugar.
- Add a piece of a pretzel stick for a stem and a fondant leaf. The melted chocolate should be enough to adhere the leaf, but if it’s already hardened, add a bit more melted chocolate.
- Set aside to dry. We poked ours into a piece of styrofoam so they would keep their shape until they were ready to serve.
- Wrap in cellophane and tie with ribbon if giving these for a gift.