Eggs are my all time favorite breakfast item. I recently branched out from my normal scrambled egg routine and started trying something different. My favorite way to eat them now is Mexican style. Whether it is wrapped up in a tortilla or in a frittata, as long as it has some peppers and chorizo sausage, I'm happy. The mini Mexican frittata recipe does just that.
Win $25 and a coupon for some free Egglands Best below!
My husband especially was all over these. I stored a few in the refrigerator and her ate them later that day. You can also freeze them for quick and easy breakfasts.
I'm happy to partner with Eggland's Best to create this recipe for the “America's Best Recipe” contest. From February 8 to April 29, Eggland’s Best will be accepting entries for the 2016 Eggland’s Best “America’s Best Recipe” Contest on the Eggland’s Best website. One Grand Prize winner will receive $10,000 and a year’s supply of Eggland’s Best eggs! Additional prizes will be awarded to Best in Region and Best in State!
You can enter the contest by creating your own original recipe, using a minimum of two whole EB eggs and at least one locally-sourced ingredient grown or manufactured in your state/district/territory! I'm in Georgia so of course, I like to use the Vidalia onion!
These frittatas are filled with potatoes, chorizo sausage, poblano peppers, Vidalia onions, garlic and a blend of Mexican cheese. They are so simple to make and my family devoured them. Once the beautiful egg mixture was in my muffin tin, I topped it with a little more cheese before baking.
You can serve them with some fresh avocado, sour cream, or my favorite, a spicy salsa!
By choosing Eggland’s Best eggs over ordinary eggs, you are getting an egg that is fresher, tastes better, and contains more vitamins and nutrients. Compared to ordinary eggs, each Eggland’s Best egg offers four times more vitamin D, more than double the omega-3s, and contains 25% less saturated fat.
What you will need
- 3 medium red skin potatoes cubed
- 8 oz Mexican chorizo sausage (about three sausages)
- 1/2 Vidalia onion or any favorite onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 poblano pepper diced
- 5 Egglands Best eggs
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F and spray muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Boil diced potatoes until tender, about 8 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Brown chorizo in a large skillet over medium heat, breaking into chunks, until cooked through (internal temp of 160°F)
- Drain chorizo on a plate covered with a paper towel.
- In the same pan sautee onion and poblano pepper until translucent.
- Add garlic and continue cooking 1 minute more.
- In a large bowl, combine beat eggs. Fold in onion, garlic, poblano, chorizo, potatoes, and cheese.
- Spoon mixture into the muffin tins.
- Sprinkle a small amount of cheese on top.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until the sides pull away and the inside is no longer runny.
- Cool for a few minutes before removing from the pan.