One of my favorite things to eat is muffins. Banana, Chocolate, Bran, or Berry, they are all my favorite. Fresh out of the oven and served warm. Mmmm. I’m drooling just thinking about it. So in honor of the new Disney Fairies movie, The Pirate Fairy special Walmart exclusive DVD, I made these fancy muffins. When you look at them they remind you of a big fluffy cupcake, when they are in fact a muffin bursting with fruit flavor and a yummy crunch top. It’s just like the switcharoo that happens in The Pirate Fairy.
From the World of Peter Pan comes Disney’s The Pirate Fairy! The Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital HD copy is available for purchase at Walmart on April 1. As a free gift with purchase, you will also receive the Pixie Hollow Bake Off DVD which includes 10 animated shorts. The additional DVD is a Walmart exclusive.
Let’s get baking! I wanted to make a blue pixie dust streusel topping to make these muffins special for my girls. In order for me to do that I needed blue brown sugar.
Brown sugar is crazy easy to make yourself. It’s just sugar and molasses. I bought both at my local Walmart.
Use a fork or a whisk to make sure it’s evenly mixed together. Then mix in the rest of your streusel topping ingredients. I fork cuts through the streusel topping once you’ve added the butter.
I used strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries. All our favorites.
I’ve been using Nielsen-Massey Madagascar bourbon pure vanilla extracts and vanilla bean paste. It tastes amazing and the paste gives you the great speckles from the bean.
Filled the muffin pan to the top.
Press your streusel topping into the tops of the muffins.Bake at 425F degrees for 5 minutes. Keeping the muffins in the oven, reduce oven temperature to 375F and continue to bake for 25-26 minutes until tops are lightly golden.
Enjoy them nice and warm while you’re watching the new Disney Fairies The Pirate Fairy. We can’t wait to watch it and see the special Pixie Hollow Bake Off.
What you will need
- Mixed Berry Muffins
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup milk at room temperature
- ½ cup canola oil*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups mixed berries fresh
- Streusel Topping
- 1/4 cup blue sugar*
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 3 tablespoons of rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- *1/4 cup of packed brown sugar can be substituted for the blue sugar and molasses.
- Start with the streusel topping.
- Using a fork, mix blue sugar and molasses until the molasses covers all of the sugar.
- Mix in rolled oats, and flour. Set Aside.
- Preheat oven to 425F degrees. Spray jumbo muffin pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until combined.
- Whisk in milk, oil, and vanilla extract.
- Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix everything together by hand with a spatula. *Avoid over-mixing, which will produce tough, dense muffins.*
- Very gently fold in 1 and 1/2 cups mixed berries.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins, filling all the way to the top.
- Place a tablespoon of streusel topping on top of muffins and gently press in.
- Bake at 425F degrees for 5 minutes. Keeping the muffins in the oven, reduce oven temperature to 375F and continue to bake for 25-26 minutes until tops are lightly golden.
PIN this recipe!