Mud Pies and Dirt Cakes are a fun treat to make with kids. Spring and Summer gatherings aren't the same without a dessert you can shovel out with gummy worms!
My little one has been making this at school along with playing with real earthworms. Which those conversations crossed and I actually had to ask the school if she had really eaten a real earthworm.
So over Easter, I let her make one for her Easter party. She did it completely by herself too. Super cute and easy kid-friendly recipe coming at you.
This fed a party so you don’t need to follow the amounts of my layers because obviously you may not need a Sam’s Club sized box of Oreos, but I’m not judging if you want to buy them anyways.
What you will need
- Put a row of Oreo cookies into the plastic bag squeeze some of the air out so your child doesn’t cause an Oreo explosion in your kitchen. Although it’s pretty tasty to clean up, probably not sanitary but still.
- Let your child bash and bang the heck out of the cookies until they are good and crumbled the way you like them.
- Scatter the cookies on the bottom of the clear dish you plan to use. I’ve also seen people buy Shovels and Pails to make this dish and it was the cutest summer treat.
- After you have all the cookies scattered along the bottom of the dish grab a few gummy worms to scatter on top of the cookie dirt. Good luck getting past this step without you or the little one eating a gummy worm.
- Mix up your pudding as directed on the box. I stick with the time old Jello.
- After your pudding has set to the thickness it needs to be slowly spread it over the worms and cookie crumble.
- Repeat steps 1-3 with another layer of cookie crumble.
- Another later of gummy worms
- Put the Cool Whip into a bowl and let it thaw this is something you can do at the beginning so that is ready or switch up your layers. It’s your pie, you don’t even have to have a cool whip layer I just wanted to switch up some colors.
- I did one more layer of cookies and gummy worms to top it all off.
Here are some other great kid-friendly recipes.