Make the delicious roadside convenient store treat at home. These Pecan Log Rolls are the perfect nostalgic dessert. The inside is fluffy nougat and the outside is coated with caramel and pecans. It’s the perfect treat if you’re looking to make a Christmas treat for friends or co-workers.
When I was a kid we used to take road trips to Georgia on vacation before finally moving here. One of my favorite things to stop and get when we crossed over the state line was a Pecan Log Rolls. South Georgia is where all the pecan farms are, and they have a lot of shops close to the interstate. Now I can make them at home!
Pecan Log Roll
What you will need
- 1/2 C & 2 tsp sweet cream butter divided and softened
- 3 3/4 C powdered sugar
- 1/2 C nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1/2 C light corn syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 bag caramels 14 oz
- 1 TBSP whole milk
- 2 C pecans chopped
- Cookie Sheet
- Wax paper
- Double boiler
- Using the 2 tablespoons of butter coat the cookie sheet. Set aside.
- Add the powdered sugar and milk powder in a bowl. Mix to combine. Set aside.
- Add the remaining butter, sugar and light corn syrup in the saucepan. Continue to stir the mixture over the heat until the sugar is dissolved. This mixture will come to a boil.
- While this mixture remains on the stove, slowly begin to add the powdered sugar and dry milk combination to the heated mixture (butter, sugar, and corn syrup). Add a little bit of the dry ingredients at a time. Stir as you add.
- Continue to stir until all ingredients are well blended. Remove the saucepan from the heat. Stir in the vanilla. Continue to stir until the mixture starts to mound.
- Spread the mixture on to the prepared cookie sheet. Set aside to slightly cool. (Cool enough only to be able to handle comfortably.) Do not allow to cool completely.
- When cooled enough to handle cut the candy into four equal strips. Next cut down the middle. Shape each of the strips into a log.
- Immediately wrap each log in wax paper. Transfer each log into the freezer until firm. (This can be overnight)
- Add the caramel with the milk to a double boiler until melted. (Stir often) Keep the unused caramel in the double boiler to remain warm. (The caramel will set quickly)
- Spread the pecans over the cookie sheet.
- Using your hands coat each log with the melted caramel. Roll each caramel-coated log in the pecans.
- Wrap each pecan log in wax paper. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.