These penguin donuts are almost too cute to eat. What better way to get excited about the new Mary Poppins Returns movie than with these adorable backup dancers! I'm so glad they brought the penguins back in the new film, they were one of my favorite aspects from the original Mary Poppins.
You know I love a great donut recipe to share because they are super easy to make and are perfect for themed parties. With two colors of glaze and a few candies, you've got an adorable penguin on your plate. Kids will love making these fun donuts.
I like to keep a donut pan around the house to make donuts whenever it strikes the mood. Which happens to be a lot of the time. Donuts and tacos are life! You bake them in different colors but for this recipe, we are just going to make plain donuts so that we can decorate the outside to look like penguins.
The penguin design is actually quite simple. You only need white and black icing, some edible eyes, and orange candies. This can be Reese's Pieces, M&M's, or even Skittles if you prefer. There are a lot of different candies that have an orange option. For this recipe, we used M&M's.
- 2 2/3 C flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 C sugar
- 1/2 C milk
- 1/4 C melted butter
- 1/2 C sour cream
- 2 large egg room temp
- 1/4 C vegetable oil
- Black food coloring
- 36 orange M&M's
- 24 small edible eyes
- 1 squeeze bottle
- 2 disposable piping bag
Donut icing ingredients
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 - 3 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Use a baking spray to prep your doughnut pan.
- Set the pan to the side.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and sugar in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the whole milk, sour cream, and eggs into a separate bowl.
- Whisk in the melted butter, vegetable oil, and vanilla
- Gradually whisk in the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir just until combined
- Scoop batter into 1 disposable piping bag
- Fill in donut pan with batter
- Bake at 400 degrees for 9 minutes.
- Allow donuts to cool a few minutes in the pan.
- Transfer the donuts to a wire rack to completely cool.
- Whisk all ingredients together in a stand mixer, using the water to adjust for desired consistency.
- Dip donuts into the white icing and place onto wire rack to harden for 15 minutes
- Mix in a few drops of black food coloring into the remaining white icing
- Scoop about 3 tablespoons of icing into the last piping bag
- Mix in 1/2 teaspoon of water into the remaining black icing to thin it slightly
- Pour icing into the squeeze bottle
- Pipe a line on the donut for the body of the penguin
- Make sure to leave the bottom white
- Pipe a small dot onto the "M" side of an orange M&M and place onto the top part of the middle on the donut
- Pipe a dot onto two edible eyes and place onto the donut for eyes
- Pipe a dot onto two more orange M&M's and place onto the bottom of the donut for the feet
- Allow black icing to dry for 30 minutes before enjoying!