Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Sea of Monsters is our favorite book in the series. To celebrate the story and some of the creatures that are featured in it, we created a fun magnetic “fishing” game that you can print out and play together as a family.
This post is brought to you by Disney Book Group
We started reading the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series this summer and my daughter has really been enjoying it. It’s also been a busy summer with camps, so we are currently on book two of the series, The Sea of Monsters. So far, this has been her favorite. There is a lot of action in this book that keeps her excited and reading into the late hours of the night.
There are a lot of characters and creatures that make an appearance in this series, so I wanted to create a fun game that included some of them. The girls have an old magnetic fishing game and that gave us the idea to create a “Sea of Monsters” version for Percy Jackson fans.
The game includes the following monsters and items to help in your quest:
I have included a printable for the game, print it out on cardstock paper.
The object of the game is to earn the most points by using your water powers (fishing) to extract mythical creatures and weapons from the Bermuda Triangle. Each mythical item is worth a different point value. The regular sea creatures are worth zero points. Special items like Percy Jackson’s sword, Riptide, are worth more because they help you on your journey.
If you pull Scylla and Charybdis (marked with an X) from the water, you have to throw all your items back into the Bermuda Triangle and start over. Make sure to set Scylla and Charybdis to the side and do not throw them back into the sea or you’ll be playing forever!
The player that earns the most points from their journey wins the game! Instructions for creating the game:
- Game Printable
- Wooden Dowel or Chopsticks
- Blue Paint
- Blue String or Twine
- Cardstock Paper
- Magnetic Jewelry Clasps
- Metal Brads
- Print your game pieces onto cardstock paper. Cut out the items. (Optional – Laminate the pieces to make them stronger.)
- Glue the Bermuda Triangle together, leaving one side open, so it can be stored flat. Cut a straight line in the middle of the open side of the Bermuda Triangle to connect the two pieces together.
- Place a metal brad into each game piece, securing it on the opposite side.
- Paint wooden sticks blue to look like water.
- Tie a piece of string or twine to the end of your blue stick. Use super or hot glue to secure your twine into place so that it doesn’t slip on the pole. (Optional – Drill holes into the wooden stick to put the string through.)
- Cut twine about 13 inches long.
- Tie the magnetic jewelry clasp to the end of the sting.
Now you’re ready to play!
Setting up the game.
- Stand Bermuda Triangle up and secure open side.
- Mix up pieces and place in the center of the Bermuda Triangle.
- Each player gets a “fishing” pole.
How to play:
- The youngest player goes first. Using the fishing pole, drop your line into the Bermuda Triangle without looking into the center.
- Move your magnet around until you find an item and pull it out.
- Set it to the side.
- Watch out! If you pull out Scylla and Charybdis (marked with an X) you must return all your items to the Bermuda Triangle.
- After a player pulls Scylla and Charybdis, set them to the side and do not return them to the Bermuda Triangle.
- Keep pulling items out of the Bermuda Triangle until there are no items left.
After all items have been removed from the Bermuda Triangle, each player should tally their items up to see which player has the most points.
The player with the highest number wins!