I can't get enough of this awesome Nightmare Before Christmas Sally cupcake recipe. Inspired by the Minnie Mouse ears you can now get at Disney Parks! Sally is one of my favorite Nightmare Before Christmas characters. Her heart longs for Jack, her pumpkin king.
These cupcakes are perfect for a Halloween or spooky themed party. Super easy to make and colorful.
What you will need
- 1 container of sky blue fondant
- 1 container of Yellow fondant
- 1 container of pink fondant
- 1 container of black fondant
- 1 C powder sugar
- 1 box of french vanilla cake mix
- 3 large eggs room temp
- 1/2 C of softened unsalted sweet cream butter
- 1 C whole milk
- 1 TBSP pure vanilla extract
- yellow, teal, and pink gel food coloring
Blue vanilla frosting :
- 2 C unsalted sweet cream butter softened
- 5 C powder sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 6-10 TBSP heavy whipping cream
- Wilton bow fondant mold
- Cookie Sheet
- black edible marker
- Small cutting board
- Fondant roller
- 1/4 inch round fondant cutter
- 3 Bowls
- Cupcake liners
- Cupcake pan
- large piping bag with large star tip
- Sprinkle powder sugar onto a cutting board and spread around.
- Remove blue fondant from container and place onto a cutting board
- Coat fondant with powder sugar and roll out onto the cutting board into a flat 1/2 inch disk
- Using the 4 inch round cutter, cut out 24 circles
- Place cut circles onto the cookie sheet
- Using the yellow and pink fondant pinch off pieces of fondant and place it into the large bow mold
- Lightly use your finger to mold together with the two colors into the bow making sure not to blend the colors
- Pop the bow out and place onto the cookie sheet
- Using the black fondant and smaller bow mold, mold the black fondant into the bow and pop it out
- Place onto the cookie sheet
- Using the black edible marker, draw out Sally's stitches onto the blue fondant circle
- Fill a cup of water
- Using your finger, dip it into the water and run it along the back of the black bow
- Place the black bow onto the middle of the colorful bow
- Allow to set for 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Line muffin pan with the white cupcake liners
- In a medium bowl, add the cake mix, butter, milk, and vanilla extract and stir until combined
- Split the batter into 3 bowls
- Mix in a few drops of yellow food coloring into one bowl
- Mix in a few drops of teal food coloring into the second bowl
- Mix in a few drops of pink food coloring into the third bowl
- Spoon 1 tbsp of each color into the cupcake liners
- Repeat steps again
- Bake in the oven for about 18-20 minutes.
- Pull out the cupcakes and allow to cool before frosting.
- Using a stand mixer, combine all ingredients and mix on medium speed.
- Mix until you see stiffed peaks in your frosting.
- Scoop frosting into the piping bag
- Frost cooled cupcakes
- Place two circles on the sides for "Ears"
- Place the bow in the middle of the cupcakes