Planning a Stranger Things watch party or a Halloween party fit for the Upside Down? Then you’ll need to have these Stranger Things-inspired cookies that look like the cracks from the Upside Down.
The cookies are red velvet with an Oreo crust around the outside. Throw on some Metallica, and let’s get baking.
Stranger Things Red Velvet Cookies
What you will need
- 1 cup COLD unsalted butter cubed
- 1½ cups granulated white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp red liquid food coloring
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups crushed Oreo Cookies cream removed
- Preheat the oven to 410° degrees F.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the cubed cold butter and granulated sugar. Using a paddle attachment on low speed for 1 minute, combine the ingredients. Increase the speed to high for 1 minute, and scrape the sides for even blending.
- Add the eggs, one at a time to the sugar mixture, make sure it is completely combined. Add the vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add the red food coloring and cocoa powder and mix on low until combined.
- In a medium-sized bowl, add the cake flour, flour, baking soda, cornstarch, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture and beat until combined. Scrape the sides to make sure it is completely combined.
- Refrigerate the dough uncovered for 20 minutes to chill.
- Place the crushed Oreos in a medium sized bowl.
- Using a digital cooking scale, use your hands to measure out 3.5 oz of dough, forming it into a ball.
- Roll the cookie dough into the crushed Oreos, lightly pressing the Oreos into the dough.
- Place the cookie dough balls about 3" apart from each other on a parchment-lined baking tray.
- Bake in the center rack of the oven for 10-11 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.