Zucchini lasagna is a great dish because it’s a lighter take on traditional lasagna. It has all the flavors of traditional lasagna with less fat and calories. This is a dish that I love to make. We love using zucchini fresh from our garden or the farmer’s market. Zucchini is in season from June to late August. Using zucchini in place of the noodles makes the dish gluten-free and a good lower carb, vegetarian choice. It’s the perfect meal for a Meatless Monday.
You can make this the main course or enjoy it as a side dish next to a protein like meatballs or chick parmigiana.
3-Cheese Spinach Lasagna Zucchini Boats
What you will need
- 4 large zucchini
- 5 handfuls of spinach
- 15 Ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Slice each zucchini in half, lengthwise. Using a metal spoon or melon baller, hollow out the center of each zucchini. Place zucchini in a baking dish and set aside.
- Warm the tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and allow it to heat through for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the spinach and gently stir for 3-4 minutes until the spinach has wilted. Remove from heat.
- Place the ricotta cheese, 1 cup of the shredded mozzarella, the parmesan, salt, and pepper in a large bowl and stir to combine. Add the cooked spinach and incorporate it into the cheese mixture.
- Spoon the filling into the zucchini boats. Evenly spoon on the marina sauce and top with the remaining ½ cup of shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for an additional 5 minutes.