This post is brought to you by Gwinnett Medical Center Everyday Wellness.
Summer is right around the corner, and we always like to make the most of it by staying busy and getting outside to stay active and avoid heavy screen time.
- Make a Plan – The summer school break seems to get shorter and shorter each year, so we try to plan a lot of great events and summer camp options for our family. We participate in outdoor camp options where the kids get to swim and play in the woods a lot. We also like to visit the lake, take a little trip, and check out local festivals. The summer is the prime festival season, and there seems to always be something to do or happening in towns all over. Finding fun summer things to do can be a great way to fill your summer calendar, so you never hear “I’m bored!”
- Sun Protection – Make sure you and your family are using sunscreen every day when you’re outside, even if you’re taking a walk. Nothing is worse than getting a terrible sunburn and not being able to go outside and play anymore. Other ways to protect from the suns rays are to wear a hat and clothing to cover the areas getting direct sunlight. I like to keep sunglasses handy as well.
- Backyard Play – Breakout the slip and slides and kiddy pools! A quick way to have fun outside no matter what age your child is. My kids are perfectly happy playing in the sprinklers as a quick way to cool off on those hot summer days. Other great activities for kids include sidewalk chalk; you can make your own fun games right on the concrete beyond hopscotch.
- Stings and Bites – With being outside a lot comes the chance of getting stung or bitten. Make sure you have bug spray handy so that you aren’t left scratching or in pain. You can find a great article about animal bites as well.
- Keep Supplies Handy – Keep an extra pair of clothing, sunscreen, and a first aid kit in the car. Sometimes we stop at a new park or discover a new place to get our feet wet. I like to keep a swimsuit, towel, and extra change of clothes for these occasions. The extra change of clothes is also good for accidents and mud pie making too!
- Go Explore – Sometimes it’s nice to wander without a plan. It’s a surefire way to have a fun adventure with kids. Let them pick the destination or scenery. Pack some lunch and picnic in a new place!
- Make Some Art – There are some fun ways you can get creative making art out where it is less mess. We created some fun Bubble Art, and you can also use water guns to spray colored water onto your canvas of choice. I love the idea of smashing paintballs to create art! The point is to be outside, get messy, and have creative freedom!
Check out Gwinnett Medical Center’s Everyday Wellness for great resources for children’s health and more.