Celebrate the end of summer with some Cricut paper crafts like this tropical luau lei you can make at home. Pair it with some drink umbrellas and we have a tropical party.
Making leis is a great Cricut craft for kids. I’m always a huge fan of projects that I can cut for them, and then they can assemble and make their own. For this project, you can let your children select their favorite colors for the flowers to make them unique.
Some fun ideas for wearing your lei:
- Moana or other Halloween costume
- Tiki bar decor
- Weddings on the beach
- Snowcone parties
- Visiting the Disney Polynesian Resort
- Pool or summer BBQ gatherings
- Clip money to the lei for a Graduation party
- Shorten the string to make a headdress
- End of the school year Hawaiin parties
Tropical Luau Lei
What you will need
- Card stock 8.5×11” 65-80lb tropical colors
- Cricut blue light or green standard grip mat
- Plain white straws
- Jute cord or string
- 1/2 tablespoon to help shape flowers
- Download the SVG files
- Upload files to design space. Select the layer with the set of files and hit attach on the layers panel. After, hit make it to cut each set of files as normal.
- Adjust your material dial or setting to medium card stock and load the card stock on to a blue or green grip mat and hit go
- Once all the flowers and leaves are cut, place each flower and leaf into a 1/2 tablespoon while gently applying pressure. This helps round the petals, gives the shape and dimension of the pieces.
- Next, tie a knot on one end of the string and begin to thread each flower and leaf, alternating them by color.
- After, cut the straw into smaller pieces (approximately thumb width). Use these as spacers in between each layer of flowers and leaves.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 until the string is completely filled and to the desired length.
- Tie a knot to complete the lei and cut off any excess string. Now you’re done!