What’s better than making fun Halloween crafts with your kids? Making ones that are edible also! I’ve never made edible play dough before my family is already requesting that I make it again. These adorable witch hat cookies would be a big hit at Halloween parties or celebrations.
This is a step-by-step post on how to make the Wickedly Good Witch Hat Cookies but there is also a video down at the bottom if you’d prefer to watch.
This post is brought to you by Dixie Crystals. You can find more fun crafts like this one in their Kid’s Kitchen.
Here is what you will need to make Wickedly Good Witch Hat Cookies:
Dixie Crystals Confectioners Sugar
Smooth Peanut Butter
I decided to use Chocolate OREO cookies so that it looked more like a black witch hat.
Mix the Dixie Crystals Confectioners Sugar, honey, and peanut butter in a bowl. When it becomes too thick to stir knead the dough with your hands until it well blended. The dough should be soft enough to be pliable and not sticky.
You could add food colorings to the edible play dough to make it nice and colorful but since we are covering the dough with OREO crumbs there is no need to. But for future products and molding you may. Make sure you store it in an air tight container.
Now we need to half a few OREO cookies and scrap out the middle so that we can crumble the cookies. I’m not going to lie I ate it. Don’t judge me, because it was so good and totally worth it.
I place the cookies into a plastic bag and used a rolling pin to crumble and crush the cookies. Grab about a tablespoon sized amount of dough and shape it into the point of the hat.
Dip the point into your cookie crumbs or roll them. Be sure to leave the bottom portion of the dough free of crumbs to make sure it sticks to the cookie. Place the point on the top of an OREO cookie pressing down to make sure it is secure. You can also use a small amount of icing if you need to.
Roll your fondant very thin like ribbon and cut into tiny strips to wrap around the hats. To get the fondant to stick to itself when it crosses just wet the area that touches. There you have adorable witch hat cookies.
Wickedly Good Witch Hat Cookies
What you will need
- Oreo cookies
- Green fondant
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- To make edible playdough: use your hands to mix peanut butter, honey and powdered sugar in large bowl. The dough should be soft enough to be pliable and not sticky.
- Shape dough into a cone shape for the top of witch hat.
- In a ziplock bag, crush several Oreo cookies (without the creamy filling) into small pieces.
- Empty crushed cookies onto a plate and roll each "playdough" witch hat in the Oreos until coated
- Place coated hat on top of Oreo cookies. If the hat doesn't want to stay, you can use a dollop of canned icing to hold it in place.
- Cut a thin strip of green fondant to make a band for the hat. Attach to cookie at the base of the cone-shaped top.